ProLiant Deployment and Provisioning

Capturing a Linux image with SAN volumes presented

Rod Rupps
Occasional Contributor

Capturing a Linux image with SAN volumes presented

I am having difficulty capturing an image of my Linux installation running on a blade server with volumes presented to it from the SAN. I have used showdisk to determine which drive designation the local drives are (this is where SLES 9 is installed) and I have used that switch option in the capture job. The job completes successfully, but only captures the first LUN that was presented from the SAN. I only want to capture the local drives and not any volumes from the SAN. I have been reading the forums and have noticed people saying to disconnect the SAN volumes before capturing the image.

Is it not possible to capture the image with the SAN volumes connected?

Why is showdisk and rdeploy not seeing the same Disk designation?

I am using RDP 3.10, Novell Suse Linux Enterprise Server 9.3, BL460c blades, HP Storage Works SAN.
2 REPLIES 2
Mike Costa
Advisor

Re: Capturing a Linux image with SAN volumes presented

Hi,
That problem happens with windows too.
When you try to capture an image from local disk you always get image from SAN, it´s veryyyyy STUPID but it is real......And please don´t try to put an image in a blade with volumes present, you´ll lost all data in first Lun present because RDP will put data in LUN and FORMAT it.ALL DATA LOST.
This problem happens because, when you run read, or write script, the server start up then run PXE, this PXE load´s all basic drivers like scsi.....and FIBRE CHANNEL, so , at this moment the blade can see local disks and storage disks.....AND the question is how many this blade can see at this moment?????
A LOTTTTT
For example if you have 2 LUN presented in Blade
It can see Local disks, and 2 LUNS, 4 times each, the EVA4000 for example have 2 Port´s each controller, and with 2 LUN´s you have 8 DISKS, plus local disk, you have 9 disks.
And Rdploy see local disk at the end.

So when you run Script, RDP tries to put, and get images from LUN´s

The solution is, PUT the switch ( -D9 ) and it´s all ok.
You have to count all lun´s and know how many ways you have , then add 1 disk.....and you get the result

3 LUN´s = 3*4 =12+1 =12 ( -D13)
1 LUN´s = 1*4=4+1 = 5 ( -D5 )
This is for an EVA with 2 port´s for each controller´s

I hope this will help you.( i lost a couple of days to find this BIGGGGGGGGGG PROBEM........BIGGGGGG BUGGGGGGGG
Gordon Leonard
Honored Contributor

Re: Capturing a Linux image with SAN volumes presented

You should use the SHOWDISK utility to ID the correct drive.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/rdp/knowledgebase/00000178.html