5922 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL360 G4 Win 2003

M. Hofstetter
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL360 G4 Win 2003

Thanks.

Does i have to include all Mass Storage Hardware? I think that i only have to include Hardware that are not supported by Win2003 drivers.cab.

Is it possible to post your Winnt.sif File?

Tx a lot!
M. Hofstetter
Frequent Advisor

I included now the CD-Rom (Retail) Entry in the winnt.sif file, but same failure.

Does i have to modify other sections in this file or in txtsetup.oem-file?
Ronald Willems

In Q234536 Microsoft says "You cannot perform an unattended installation of mass storage drivers when you run the Setup program from the Windows CD to install Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000". And they are right about that.

I've found a site with a desription of adding mass storage drivers in a not by Microsoft supported way:

http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com/READING/addraid.htm

I haven't tested it myself, but as soon I have an G4 machine available for testing I will.
M. Hofstetter
Frequent Advisor

The MS-Article could be not correct:

http://www.willowhayes.co.uk/windows2000/

"All the documentation in the resource kit and on the Microsoft web site refers to placing the $OEM$ directory inside your i386 folder. This is correct for methods other than a custom bootable CD and RIS. The MS knowledge base article Q234536 states that it├в s not possible to use a $OEM$ structure with a custom bootable CD and gives a technical explanation as to why it├в s not possible. This information is inaccurate. At least, with SP2 slipstreamed, it is not correct. Placing the $OEM$ directory in the root of the CD-ROM rather than inside i386 works perfectly. I have e-mailed Microsoft a number of times over the past year asking them to change this. They haven├в t responded, so there will be a lot of people who waste as much time as I did looking for alternatives."

My Problem: The G4 has a new Gigabit-NIC and W2003 has no Drivers. I tried to include this new NIC-Driver in my winnt.sif-file and create the $oem$-folders to include the new hp-drivers. When i boot with my slip-stream-cd i have the "startdss.sys"-error. I read that i have to include the "DisableVirtualOEMDevices=No"-Entry in the unattend-Section of Winnt.sif. This seems to be equal to the bios setting of the HP 4 (Disable Virtual Install Disk). After making this setting (Bios oder Sif-File) there is no more failure with the "startdss.sys" but the Array-Controller found no Disk. I dont understand this, because with the virtual disk setting enabled, i dont have to include OEM-Raid-Drivers. The SmartArray 6i was working with the W2003 Builtin-Drivers!

All what i want is to make a simple W2003-Slipstream-CD with the new OEM-Nic-Driver!!! Any help is
Martin Hosp
Occasional Advisor

Hi!

Sorry, I have not been in the Office for a while...

Well I have to say that I Never tried to boot from a SlipStream-CD So I dont know much about this Topic (We use NetInstall, where the Files are built with variables on the target - Computer when Setup is Performed.)

Because of the CDROM - Enry: We had similar Problems, when the Entry was missing...

Well all in all I think there must be a Problem with your paths, because:

I have -

[Unattended]
OemFilesPath = "C:\drivers"
OemPnPDriversPath="drivers"

[MassStorageDrivers]
"IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller" = RETAIL
"HP Dynamic Setup Support Driver" = OEM
"Smart Array 6i, 641, 642, 6400, 6400EM Controllers" = OEM

[OEMBootFiles]
cpqcissm.cat
cpqcissm.inf
cpqcissm.sys
startdss.sys
txtsetup.oem

(Files are copied to C:\drivers\$OEM$\TEXTMODE)

- at Runtime and Setup works out fine with our SETUP - without any changes in BIOS or UNATTEND.TXT

The PNP Drivers Path in your case would be \PnPDrvrs\sa6i\
and \$OEM$\TEXTMODE\
I Think.
Maybe you try a "hard" path for the files?
Martin Hosp
Occasional Advisor

I just noticed:

You have
[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
In the Article you refer they say you have to set this to
[Unattended]
UnattendMode=ReadOnly
When booting from CD...

Hi all

Having problems with DL360 G4 and unattended install of Win 2003. First I got a blue screen after first-copy of installation files...but manage to remove this, with editing the unattend.txt file and adding drivers and oem files. Now I get a error message saying "The manufactured provided file that setup is trying to use is invalid or corruptet. Line 1 contains a syntax error.".. Not sure witch file this is refering to? Had a look thru the system files and drivers..but cannot find any typical syntax error..
Any ideas?
J P_2

I've been able to install the Windows 2003 using the unattended installation using the recommendations in this forum on a DL380 G4.

However, the workgroup is not the one I specified in Joinworkgroup=ABC under [identification]. The workgroup is WORKGROUP.

I used the same uninstallation on a DL380 G3 and it works fine. My workgroup is ABC.

Any ideas?
M. Hofstetter
Frequent Advisor

I've found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816299

It's not possible to make a Slipstream-CD with OEM-Drivers in Windows 2003.

Other People say it works with WinXP SP2.

Ronald Willems

There is a big diference between a slpstream installation and starting the installation by running "winnt32 /u:....".

With a slipstreamed installation, it is not possible to add Mass Storage Drivers for the Smart Array 6i. The built in drivers for the 6i don't work with the G4, so you need the new drivers. Otherwise you get a blue screen after reboot.

I prefer the slipstream, so I will try to get the new driver working. But if I don't succeed, I will make the CD DOS bootable and start the installation from the autoexec.bat (don't forget Smartdrv)

Adding the NIC driver works for me. I added the following lines:
[Unattended]
Unattendmode=FullUnattended
OemPreinstall=Yes
DisableVirtualOemDevices=Yes
(thanks to this forum)
OEMPnPDriversPath=DRV\HN2

In the CD:\$oem$\$1\DRV\HN2 folder I placed the new drivers:
b57win32.inf _b57win32.inf
(DriverVer = 06/19/2004,7.80.0.0)
b57win32.pnf _b57win32.pnf
oemsetup.inf