108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP RDP newbie

SOLVED
Go to solution
JoshJCE
Occasional Contributor

HP RDP newbie

I am new to RDP, and have a few questions about the PXE setup. I get this PXE error:
HP RDP pxe-e52 proxydhcp offers were received. no dhcp offers were received.

- What DHCP Options do I need to enter?
- I put the DHCP Scope options on the iLO subnet? Or on the actual NIC subnet?

Maybe if someone can give me a walkthrough on the actual PXE setup. The docs I found are pretty general on the subject.

Thank you,

Josh
5 REPLIES 5
Cederberg
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP RDP newbie

Hi Josh!

here is a guide for planing the RDP installation in it it explains how the pxe boot enviroment should be setup.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00711216/c00711216.pdf

and to answer your second questions the deployment is done on the NICs not on the ILO.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Josh:

Is your DHCP server different from your PXE server? (a different physical server)

If it is the same box, then youshould not need to do anything as the PXE installtion takes care of it.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
JoshJCE
Occasional Contributor

Cederberg/Steven,

Thanks for your help. I do have the scope options setup for teh iLO subnet, so I will need to change this.

The NIC subnet is a production subnet, and there are already a good amount of servers taking up static IPs. In your opinion, is it best to build the servers on a temporary subnet (VLAN), to keep it seperate from prodution, and then move it over, or keep it on the production line? I would have to "reserve" (Not DHCP reservations, but company-known reservations) a few IPs so no one uses them staticly. And then set these as the available IPs that can be used for DHCP.

Sorry if these questions are basic, but I just want to make sure we set it up correctly. This is our first time using HP RDP here, and it will be implemented globally. So I need to get the facts straight :)

Thanks again,

Josh
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"...is it best to build the servers on a temporary subnet (VLAN), to keep it seperate from prodution, and then move it over, or keep it on the production line?"

- When I pitch RDP, I always suggest a separated network for deployment traffic.

A separate vlan... a different subnet... a totally separate network...

The ideal situation would be where you can leave your servers ON the deployment network AND also put them on your Production network. Doing this would allow you to fully utilize RDP and all of it's functionality after the fact. RDP is not only deployment software, but management and backup software as well.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
JoshJCE
Occasional Contributor

Great, thanks for the information. I should now be able to move forward.

Thanks,

Josh