108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Support Update Manager comand line issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alastair Harrison
Frequent Advisor

HP Support Update Manager comand line issue

I am trying to build a Windows Server to initiate an automated install of the Proliant Support Pack on boot via the comand line. Under old versions of SmartStart & the Proliant Support Pack I used the following comand line successfully:-

"setupc.exe /f /silent /use-latest /reboot-always"

Could someone let me know what the HP SUM syntax should be & is there a way of verbosely displaying the output?

Thanks.

Al
11 REPLIES 11
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Al,
The equivalent HPSUM command line would be:

hpsum /f:all /silent /use_latest /reboot_always /use_snmp

/f:all = force all components to install, run again, or downgrade if necessary to the version in the bundle

/silent = run silently

/use_latest = Use the latest bundle XML file found in the directory as the default PSP to install

/reboot_always = Always reboot unless a failure occurs

/use_snmp = Default to the SNMP agents. If you choose to go with the WBEM-based WMI agents instead, you'll need to use the /use_wmi switch instead.

On the question of verbosity, we are adding verbosity to error logs later this year but have no console based installation mode which displays the output as the installation is proceeding. If you need this type of capability, we'd recommend running in express mode (/express_install). You'll get a graphical display of the installation, but there is no user input needed to drive the installation.

Regards,
Michael Garner
HPSUM Architect
Alastair Harrison
Frequent Advisor

Thank you very much for the reply & help Michael, excellent response.

I notice even though I use the syntax:-
hpsum.exe /f:all /express_install /use_latest /reboot_always /use_snmp the server will not always reboot at the end of the install if there are any unknown devices in device manager left or I assume some drivers could not be installed from the psp for some reason.

I can live with this though.

Cheers

Al
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Al,
You are correct. HPSUM will not reboot if any failure occurs during the installation. This is a design philosophy that if something fails, it is better to stop and allow someone to fix it than to reboot and be in a situation where it may require safe mode or other extreme measures to recover.

Regards,
Michael
Gordon Leonard
Honored Contributor

Just for future reference (and others who may search for help on HPSUM).

Using /h or /? will provide you a detailed listing of the command line arguments.

Unlike some of our other tools this one is very well documented.

Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Gordon,
There is an easier way to see the CLI parameters from HPSUM. Just read the CLIHelp.txt file in the directory. The /? and -h options just dump this file to the console and exit.

Regards,
Michael
Alastair Harrison
Frequent Advisor

I am using the following syntax sugested in previous response:-

hpsum.exe /f:all /express_install /use_latest /reboot_always /use_snmp

The HP SUM Express splash screen appears & then pauses awaiting a click on the "Start Inventory" button.

Is there a way to automate the Express install so no user intervention is required?

Thanks.

Al
Gordon Leonard
Honored Contributor

/s or /silent

Alastair Harrison
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply Gordon.

Does it matter where the /silent qualifier is positioned in the line of syntax?

Al
Alastair Harrison
Frequent Advisor

Ok just tried the following syntax on a DL380G5

"hpsum.exe /f:all /s /express_install /use_latest /reboot_always /use_snmp"

No HP SUM splash screen appeared. Just a black command shell box as per a silent install. No reboot as the Fibre Channel HBA drivers appeared to fail to install.

Any ideas on why no visible express install screen?