ProLiant Deployment and Provisioning
1753803 Members
7795 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: PXE Boot Image from an ISO

vancec

To add new updates to the Firmware package you just need to copy the *.scexe files to the appropriate subdir, /export/FW900.2010_0403.93/hp/swpackages/ in my case. This works for USB made keys too.

You also need to made sure the scexe is executable. "sudo chmod a+rx CP012402.scexe"

I have had intermittent issues with smartstart, it gets into the X system and just sits there with an active cursor. only happens to some systems. We only use DL360 G6 and G5s, very annoying when you need run this for HP serveice and it won't start.
vancec

Oh, here are some musings that may be of interest in the Firmware update arena.

fyi, we only have DL360 G6/G6's and use centos.

We used to only update by mounting the FW dir on our working OS (no apps running) and just execute hpsum with appropriate options.

This led to about 30 percent of the G5's having some sort of update issues. Sometimes doing it again worked, sometimes not (bricked P800 and PM modules).

VAR tech said he never has any issues with USB key or CD. So, from then on we only used FW update from PXE on the G5s and it's been great. So, if you have G5 and older I would only use USB Key/PXE based updater.

On G6s I still mount and run hpsum from OS. My script does a "tail -n 5 /var/hp/log/*.log" on all the systems so i can see if anything is amiss. ILO will sometimes fail to update. I just run it manually on those, always works.

Options I run on hpsum:
"./hpsum /silent /allow_update_to_bundle /allow_non_bundle_components /use_latest /use_downloaded"

I used to also have "/use_web", but it downloaded ILO v2.00 and that kernel panicked 60 machines on reboot. That was a very long day....

vance

Barney Jones
Occasional Advisor

Vanec wrote:

To add new updates to the Firmware package you just need to copy the *.scexe files to the appropriate subdir, /export/FW900.2010_0403.93/hp/swpackages/ in my case. This works for USB made keys too.

@Vanec, I tried copying the .scexe files into the unpacked iso image and then re-burning the iso, but for some reason it doesn't pick up the latest firmware updates. Does anyone know why this might be happening?
Barney Jones
Occasional Advisor

In follow up to my last message about adding .scexe files to an ISO image, it has become apparent that there may be a bug which doesn't pick up the latest .scexe files if you drop them into the swpackages directory of an unpacked ISO and then re-pack it. I am waiting to hear back from HP if this is a bug or not. They have provided me a workaround, which I haven't tested yet, but I'd like to know if it is a bug before implementing a workaround.
Levente Lajko

Hi Vance,

Have you managed to locate the update logs? My plan is to copy them to the nfs mount.

Levente
AntsInPants
Frequent Advisor

Now with the Service Pack for Proliants, I would love to run this off a PXE server. I followed to the instructions, but it is now failing when it tries to mount the ISO image.

here is my pxelinux.cfg

label sos
  MENU LABEL HP Automatic Firmware Update Version 2011.09.0
  kernel hp/vmlinuz
  append initrd=hp/initrd.img media=cdrom rw root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=485956 init=/bin/init loglevel=3 ide=nodma ide=noraid nopat pnpbios=off vga=791 splash=silent hp_fibre showopts noexec32=off numa=off nox2apic TYPE=AUTOMATIC iso1=nfs://10.10.10.10/vol/firmware_iso/hp/SPP2011090.2011_0930.13.iso isolmnt=/mnt/bootdevice/

but it fails to an error saying "nfs://10.10.10.10/vol/firmware_iso/hp/SPP2011090.2011_0930.13.iso" is not a directory. 

Any help appreciated

PavelS
Occasional Advisor

Is there a way to run automatically the hardware test provided by SmartStart 8.7b insight diagnostics? I have set the SmartStart at my PXE server. I need it only for the hardware tests (new servers are checked for failures during shipment). I have configured PXE to update the firmware and install os automatically but I need to add hardware check.

Also is there any way to do it with HP Insight Diagnostics Offline Edition... couldn't make it work with PXE.

Thanks in advance,

Pavel 

shocko
Honored Contributor

I am getting the same issue when trying to PXE boot the SPP. Here is my .cfg file

label SPP2012.01.0/
 MENU LABEL ^ - HP Service Support Pack 2012.01.0 - Manual Installation
 MENU INDENT 1
 kernel /HP/SSP/2012.01.0/vmlinuz
 append initrd=HP/SSP/2012.01.0/initrd.img media=network rw root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=485956 init=/bin/init loglevel=3 ide=nodma ide=noraid nopat pnpbios=off vga=791 splash=silent hp_fibre showopts noexec32=off numa=off nox2apic TYPE=MANUAL iso1=nfs://10.112.64.190/PXEROOT/NFSROOT/hpservicepack/SPP2012010.2012_0119.47.iso isolmnt=/mnt/bootdevice/
 say "Loading the HP Service Support Pack "

I get this error:

Screencap_001.JPG

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Dave73
Regular Advisor

Its looking for flat files not an iso.

I have implemented the spp to run after the installation of the o/s on our servers as it then also updates drivers and hp agents.

shocko
Honored Contributor

When you say 'flat files' what exactly do you mean? Do i need to change the kernel append params or do I need to exctract the .iso or both ?

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)