1748218 Members
4310 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RDP 1.6 PX and DHCP

Dan Lepine_1

RDP 1.6 PX and DHCP

Hi all,

I am really struggling with finding the right information for having my DHCP server and PXE server on different machines.

My production DHCP server (Win2003) is on the x.x.100.x subnet and I want my RDP/PXE machine to be on my x.x.101.x lab subnet.

I tried once and got an IP address trough PXE, but couldn't find the bootfile.

Can anyone point a link to a place that talks about this config, I cannot seem to find it in the documentation.

Thanks.

Dan
2 REPLIES 2
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

Re: RDP 1.6 PX and DHCP

Hi Dan,
So if I read that correctly, DHCP is working across the two subnets, but not PXE?
Can I assume that you have some type of DHCP helper on the x.x.101.x lab subnet?
On which subnet are the new servers that are going to need PXE reside? With DHCP or with the RDP\PXE machine?
If the new targets are on the same subnet as your RDP\PXE server then there should be no issues with finding a PXE bootfile (assuming that these PXE boot files exist).
If you're bringing up new targets on the production subnet, then you need to have a "PXE helper" on that subnet since most routers\switches will block the BootP (PXE) traffic due to it's broadcast nature.
I don't know if I've helped or hurt, but let me know if you have any further questions.
Ed Cox
Christian Mentschik
Regular Advisor

Re: RDP 1.6 PX and DHCP

we have a similar problem.
DHCP is in x.x.1.x subnet, PXE is in the same subnet, the servers are standing in x.x.1.x, x.x.2.x, x.x.6.x, ... we put the parameter 66 and 67 on the DHCP server. every boot form a different subnet (not x.x.1.x) we got the following error: PXE-E55: ProxyDHCP service did not reply to request on port 4011.

thx for any help.

christian