1748165 Members
3782 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RDP Imaging question

Mike Gentles
Advisor

RDP Imaging question

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I can not find a forum specifically for Rapid Deployment Pack.

I have been capturing and deploying W2K images on BL10e servers. Most of the time everything works just fine. But....there is always a but.

When capturing the image every now and then it hangs after the imaging process. It stops at a black DOS lokking screen and reports the following:
Image Task Completed - Elapsed Time 7:48

It just sits there. In the RDP console, the little task icon is still blue meaning the task is still running. It never looks as though it completes. When I manually reboot the blade, it comes back to the OS and everything looks fine. I have verified in the \...images folder that the image was in fact created and is 470MB in size, so everything looks good.

The image is created, but I get the strange message on the screen and the job never officially completes in RDP. Yet all appears to be fine.

Anyone seen this before, and/or know why this is happening??

Thanks in advance,

Mike Gentles
4 REPLIES 4
andy steven
Valued Contributor

have you tried the altiris website the forums there are good, in my experience HP know little about this product, best to go to the people who wrote it.

have come accross many errors using this product but not this one i am afraid.
Jeff Mathews
Respected Contributor

Hi Mike,

Your event will never be marked complete, because after the machine is imaged it locks up. It is supposed to reconnect to the deployment server (RDP Server) and send a record update and error code. This error code is then used by the deployment server to either mark the event as completed or failed.

To figure out why the computer is failing, there are a few troubleshooting steps that you should try. When your machine boots and attaches to the deployment server, you should see a prompt (F2 for diagnostics). If you press F2 at this point, you can select the option to exit to a dos prompt. Try running the image manually to see if it causes your computer to lock up (use the ibmaster.exe command with the appropriate switches). If you get an error code you should be able to find out what it is trying to tell you. Are you booting using Windows 95 boot files, or Windows 98 boot files? Of course 98 boot files are preferred.

Let me know if any of this helps, and we can try and track down your problem.

Jeff
Scott Shaffer
Esteemed Contributor

Admin note: I moved this thread to the new RDP forum.
Dude, we've been totally misled by our album covers!
Richard Mouser
Valued Contributor

Mike,

A few questions:

What version of RDP are you using?

How often do you see this problem?

Are you using PXE with the UNDI driver (default in the PXE boot image), or an NDIS 2 dirver?

Thanks,

Richard