New Discussion юеВ

Re: RDP - Performance issues and authentication error

SOLVED
Go to solution
mygreenit
Occasional Contributor

RDP - Performance issues and authentication error

Hi all,

we just started with a proof of concept for our planned Deployment infrastructur and run into some problems.
We have to provide server deployment to our branches also, which are connected via leased lines (>512MBit). In our first attempt we provide DS and PXE from our headquarter, but the transfer times for the winpe boot images was to bad (<220 kbyte). So we decided to install an additional local PXE Server in our branch office. The boot time from winpe is now much more faster, but we run during the start of the altiris agent in the error you can see in the attachement (either we have one or two PXE servers). Infrastructure main site: dhcp server / deployment server with pxe server. Infrastructure remote site: dhcp server / pxe server.

I have two questions.
First: Is the performance of the tftp protocol so bad independent of the bandwith of the leased line in a wan environment?
Second: Has anyone a idea because of the error during the start from altiris agent from the remote site (we didn't have this error on our local site)?

Thanks in advance and any ideas would be appreciated.

Thomas

3 REPLIES 3
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor
Solution

Thomas,
In answering your second question first, have you checked the user account that you are authenticating on the network? Make sure the account is not locked. If the password is not set to never expire, it will fall into your usual password policy settings.

For your first question, I was having extremely long boot times myself. It was taking 25 minutes on a local 100M switched connection to PXE boot/TFTP. Open your PXE Manager, then go to the Logs tab. Make sure you are NOT logging any events. I had the top two options selected. After disabling both of those options, my boot time went to 2 minutes.

Good luck,
Neal
mygreenit
Occasional Contributor

Hi Neal,

thanks for your answer.

We could solve the second problem. The account wasn't locked, but because of a wrong DHCP settings the authentication to the DS was done with the wrong domain suffix.

Because of the bad performance over wan, I think the tftp protocol or the altiris pxe is not optimized for fast leased lines (use of jumbo ethernet packets etc.). We decided to install a dedicated PXE Server in each remote office.

Thanks again.
Thomas
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Thomas

Also look at putting another share on the local site for your images and scripted installs.
Or you will PXE boot locally but still try and download files from remote.

Map another local drive as a task.