ProLiant Deployment and Provisioning
1748072 Members
5575 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RDP updating the version of smart start

James_267

RDP updating the version of smart start

We have been running with an installation of Altiris and when it installed it used version 5.30 of smart start and this was not a problem until we now need to deploy a G3 box, as I understand it you need version 6 or higher. My problem is that the directory structure of the new HP versions of smart start are completely different to the old style versions. As a result I have no idea what I need to copy to the deployment server to get it to use the new version (I am aware of how to edit the script to point to a different place).

Can anyone help as HP tech support do not even seem to have heard of Altiris let alone know how to use it.
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Richard Mouser
Valued Contributor

I'm assuming you installed RDP 1.00? That used the SmartStart 5.30 support software.

The easiest way to upgrade is to go to www.hp.com/server/rdp and download the latest ISO image (RDP 1.40). This will give you the latest version of the Altiris product and the latest support software from HP.
Peter Frazer
Frequent Advisor

Also, it doesn't use the 5.30 version of smartstart. What you are reffering to is the version of the Support Paq (SPQ) that is installed with RDP, which also includes the Smarstart Scripting Tool Kit (SSTK) and custom Altiris Scripts for tying it all together. Smartstart Versions usually correspond to the version of the Support Paq offered on the CD and is an automated method of configuring and deploying servers using said CD. The Support Paq and later versions can be applied without having to run Smartstart.

In order to enable newer versions of the SPQ, you need to set up directories in your \deploy\cds\compaq directory that mirror the original, just with the new SPQ. Make copies of our deployment scripts and change the ss= to the new folder number (i.e ss=6.40 if you have \deploy\cds\compaq\SS.640) You need to make sure that you include all the boot files as well (the $1 and Textmode directories).

This isn't to say staying up on the latest RDP isn't a good idea, just remember that if you want to keep any of your old custom scripts, you will have to export them from Altiris and back up the deploy directory before you upgrade as the upgrade will re-write the directories.

Let me know if this helps.

Peter
Richard Mouser
Valued Contributor

Peter,

Actually, if you install the latest ProLiant Integration Module (part of RDP), it provides all the files needed to support new server (Support Pack, flat file drivers, updated batch files, updated jobs, latest SmartStart Scripting Toolkit, etc.) and puts them in the correct location on the deployment server.

The upgrade only overwrites the jobs/events and script files provided by RDP. That is why the docs recommend copying and renaming the jobs and scripts before customizing them.

You are correct that this is not SmartStart, just a lot of the same files in a different layout for over the network install.