ProLiant Deployment and Provisioning
1753789 Members
7409 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RDeploy: The disk read operation failed.

Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

RDeploy: The disk read operation failed.

When attempting to create an image of a DL585 running RedHat Linux OS I get the error "RDeploy: The disk read operation failed." Error code 35. I have disabled any HBA's on the system and still receive the same error. The server is running a LVM as well on the OS. Is there something I am missing as this should work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
32 REPLIES 32
Gordon Leonard
Honored Contributor

Disconnect the SAN connections. Then give it a try.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Gordon,
Even though I have disabled to HBA's I still need to disconnect the Fiber from the server? I will give it a try. If this works this is something that needs some work from Altiris, otherwise it defeats the whole purpose of automation.
Gordon Leonard
Honored Contributor

I suspect it will lead you to this type of message..

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/rdp/knowledgebase/00000178.html

Even with the HBA "disabled" do you see the LUNs via showdisk utility?

pasquino bocci_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

LVM is only supported with RDP 3.5 8altiris 6.8). What version are you using?
Pasquino
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

I am running RDP 3.5 with Altiris 6.8. After disconnecting the Fiber cables I am now getting an error "The volume is invalid". Are there parameters that I need to put in the RDeploy section of the job to indicate which disk I need to image?
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Ok, now I have verified that attempting to image Red Hat Linux is not working in RDP 3.5. The disks are running LVM and it is supposed to be supported in RDP 3.5, but I have tried 3 different machines and consistently get the same error.

"The volume is invalid."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Gordon Leonard
Honored Contributor

Todd,

Have you reviewed the document called "RDP_UserGuide.pdf" page 10? (I don't know your setup but this deals with when you have more than 1 drive).

For imaging of a target with Red Hat Linux and LVM, the Distribute Disk Image task will need to be modified to indicate the first and last drive if the LVM volume spans ultiple logical drives.

To specify which drives to use for installation:
1. From the Deployment Server Console, copy, rename, and edit the job to be used for this deployment.
2. Modify the Distribute Disk Image task.
3. Select Advanced, and click the Additional Options tab.
4. In the Additional command-line switches field, add the -dy switch, where y is comma separated integers
representing the disk numbers that the LVM volume will span. For example, to deploy an LVM image to two
drives, use -d1,2.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Gordon,
I just want to create the image, so I am guessing I need to do the same thing? But from what I can tell it is only on a Mirror set. That is one physical disks, but could be multiple VM's. I will look at the user guide and see what else is in there.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Gordon,
I just got off of the phone with HP and apparently Creating a Disk Image of Linux running LVM is not supported in Altiris 6.8. Altiris is currently working on the issue, but currently is not supported at this time.

You can distribute an OS installation and then add LVM to the OS, but you cannot create a disk image of Linux running LVM.

Thanks for you help.