ProLiant Deployment and Provisioning
1753597 Members
6672 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RDeploy: The disk read operation failed.

pasquino bocci_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: RDeploy: The disk read operation failed.

Hi,

HP is not the bible!!!

look here, from HP:

How To Use Data From The Altiris Showdisk Utility Produced From The Read Hardware Configuration Job

Article: 178

Applies to: Release 3.00 or greater

The Read Hardware Configuration job includes output from the Altiris showdisk utility. This output can be used to determine how drives are enumerated under automation which is how rdeploy sees the drives for imaging.

This information is beneficial when deploying an operating system to a SAN-attached environment, a direct-attached storage environment with multiple logical drives, or when USB is used as the boot media method. In these environments, rdeploy may read or write image files to or from the secondary disks. The showdisk information can be used to determine the appropriate -dX parameter to the Create Disk Image or Distribute Disk Image tasks in a scripted or image install job. For scripted installs, a NTFS.IMG or GRUB.IMG image file is landed to start the operating system installation process.

For servers installed with Red Hat Linux and Logical Volume Manager (LVM), showdisk shows the data differently. Showdisk will display a disk for LVM and one or more disks for the logical drives. Using the disk number for the disk with LVM, the image capture will capture the LVM volume which may span more than one logical drive. If deploying this image back to a server with more than one logical drive, the Distribute Disk Image task will need to be modified to use more than one disk parameter, for example, -d1,2 to deploy the LVM image to disk 1 and disk 2. The disks indicated with -d are comma separated.

Important: The -d1,2 syntax for rdeploy is only valid for LVM deployments. This syntax cannot be used for capturing and deploying multiple storage drives for other operating systems or non-LVM setups.

If the disk number for the physical/logical drive is used to capture an image in place of capturing the LVM disk, the image will be read in raw mode. Reading a drive in raw mode, reads the entire drive which could take extra time to read the drive and creates many large image files on the Deployment Server.

Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

I only have one question, where does the output from the Showdisk utility end up and or how do you use it? I have looked in the Rdeploy/Linux/Logs directory and that doesn't tell me much.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Never mind I just figured out how to get output from Showdisk. Running the job now and will let you know if that works in helping me create an image of the Linux system.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Here is the output from my Linux system running LVM..

ShowDisk 6.8 (8297)
Copyright (C) 2003-2007 Altiris, Inc. All rights reserved.

Disk 1 (Unknown): 2186/1024/64, 143273870 sectors, 68.32 GB (LVM)

Type Boot Begin Size
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Ext3 0 0/0/1 208782 (101.94 MB)
2 Ext3 208782 3/190/15 41943040 (20.00 GB)
3 Linux Swap 42151822 643/190/15 16777216 (8.00 GB)

Disk 2 (SCSI): 17562/255/32, 143305920 sectors, 68.33 GB (MBR, sig=00056f46)

Type Boot Begin Size
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Ext3 * 63 0/1/32 208782 (101.94 MB)
2 0x8e 208845 25/151/14 143090955 (68.23 GB)

Disk /dev/cciss/c0d0: 73.3 GB, 73372631040 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 8920 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2 14 8920 71545477+ 8e Linux LVM

So, how do I correlate this to a setting in the parameters so, I can capture the image?
Gordon Leonard
Honored Contributor

Todd,

What is your case number?
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Here is the case number that I had opened and was informed from HP engineer that it is not supported. So, I think the case was closed.

Gordon Leonard
Honored Contributor

Todd,

The only thing I see is you said your using RH 4u3 - HP supports RH 4u4. Could you build a server using RH 4u4? Let me know - sorry about the run around. I'm working on the LVM "not supported" message.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

What about Update 5 is that supported? I can get to update 5 easy, but don't know about 4 may take some more time.
Gordon Leonard
Honored Contributor

Sorry - We need to keep to the RDP Support Matrix (found in the DOC directory). Lets get you at the "expected" OS and see if you still have issues. HP *does* support LVM.
Todd Schelin
Valued Contributor

Installing Update 4 now will reply when I am done. Once there is there anything specific I need to do, or just run the Create Disk Image job against it.