1753449 Members
5913 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Rebot Problem

CRI_1

Rebot Problem

Hi,

I'm deploying HP BL20p G2 blades servers with Altiris 6.0 and Hotfix C. I have a problem, when i use "ProLiant BL20p Scripted Install for Microsoft Windows 2003" on a blank server. When i have the PXE menu, i choose "Altiris BootWorks (Initial Deployment)". Just after the "Set hardware configuration" script, the computer must reboot. The server reboot but not continu the next script. It loops. Why?

If i edit the "ProLiant BL20p Scripted Install for Microsoft Windows 2003" script for remove the reboot command after the "Set Hardware Configuration" script, the server continu to the next script "Set Disk Partition". Just after this script there is a reboot too and i have the same problem.

If i remove the reboot command after the "Set Disk Partition" script, i have this message: "WARNING: We need to boot to production mode but a production partition does not exist!". I have read the Altiris knowledge base article AKB5837. I have add the "reboot" command line "reboot PXE \cold" and I have the same message . Why?

Can you help me?

TIA
2 REPLIES 2
Steve Pitt
Advisor

Re: Rebot Problem

First I would suggest you make sure why it has stopped, as it may have got further than you thought by using the iLO remote console to see what the server is doing.

I would suggest that you use the iLO remote console to manually set the hardware by using the F10 key. Then you can remove the script that actually controllers the set-up of the hardware, and just try to deploy the W2K3 OS to the machine.

One thing to watch for here is the allocation of the disk space. The default will take all the capacity of the disks unless you specify the size you want.
Be aware the actual size you get for the first partition will be the size you want + 2Mb (A Microsoft thing) and will also depend on the geometry of the disks you are using, so it is not an exact science.

Once you have a working server you can then do a image of the working machine which will create/update the two .ini files which are used to configure the RAID controller and the setup of the server hardware which is OS dependant (ports etc.) These .ini files are used during the deployment phase to configure the hardware of your server.
If you are going to have the same basic configuration for all your blades you will be OK, if you have differing configs you will need to modify the scripts to create/use different control .ini files.

Tip: - Add a section in the unattended.txt for you server activation code, or it will stop and ask you to manually install it.

Steve "Bug-Man" Pitt
MULLER_7
Occasional Contributor

Re: Rebot Problem

Hi,

I've the same problem, and I didn't find a solution. I use Altiris 6 SP1 with Hotfix D. I get the same message, and I can view it if I look with the remote control of the iLO card. With Altiris, I make a right-click on the job and I select Next Step when I've the error. Then, reboot problems of the "Set Hardware" and of the "Set partition" are skipped, when the job start the unattended installation of Windows 200x, the installation finished successfully.

Do you find a solution?

Gerald