ProLiant Deployment and Provisioning
1753948 Members
7746 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing RAID 5 Drives

David Roush

Replacing RAID 5 Drives

I am about to replace the harddrives in my Compaq ML370 Server. Out current config has 5 Hard drives. 2x18gig Mirrored for OS, 3x72 Gig Raid 5 Drives for Data and 1 18 Gig hard drive. We are running out of space, so we purchase 4 143gig drives that I would like to put in. What are the proper steps for replacing the hard drives and using SmartStart or the Compaq Array Config Utility. Do I have to delete the current Raid 5 Harddrive Array in Compaq Array Config Utility before removing the drives and replacing and then reconfiguring the new one using Compaq Array Config Utility? I would like to keep the disk in tact, just in case I have to roll back. Thanks for your help.
3 REPLIES 3
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

David,
Are we talking here about taking out all of the original 5 drives? If so, you can just pull them without doing anything to them. However I would label them as to what their original SCSI ID position was in case you want to roll back. Most of the Smart array controllers beginning with the 3200 can handle out of order positioning but I wouldn't chance it.
Also,
ALL array configuration information is held on the hard drives and not on the controller, so if you take out all of the 5 drives and replace them with the new 143GB drives, it's like having a new server all over again (except NVRAM and the BIOS are not "factory fresh").
So to rebuild the server, grab a Smartstart cd. If this ML 370 is a G1 then I would use version 5.50 of the Smartstart cd. Version 6.x and higher won't work on an ML 370 G1 for rebuild purposes.
Go through the Smartstart process (which includes the Array Config utility as one of the steps) and after the os is back on the server, restore your data from tape.
If this is a G2 or G3, then use 6.40 or 7.00 Smartstart.

However if I have misinterpreted your intentions about how many hard drives are being removed, let me know.
Ed
Shomon Robie

Hello,
i have a problem here... im using proliant ml350 with smart array 532 controller with 3 18.2 gb hot swapable hdds, 1 Spare.
i have to replace my 18.2 gb Raid 5 HDDs with new 36.4 GB HDDs.
How will i do this? shall i remove on 18 GB HDD from the array and put one 36.4 in that place? I need step by step procedure.

Thanks,

Robie
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

Robie,
You are correct...
Remove the first 18GB drive and replace it with a 36GB drive. Wait for the rebuild to complete and then replace the second 18GB drive...and repeat the same procedure. You will also have to replace the 18GB spare drive with a 36GB spare drive.
It goes without saying that it's imperative to wait for each 36GB drive to finish rebuilding before swapping out the next 18GB drive. You can verify the rebuild progress through the Array Config Utility.
The question now becomes....what do you do with all that new disk space that you will see under the Array Config utility?
If you already know about the next steps...then that's good. If you aren't sure, then send me back a reply if you are curious what your options are from here.
Good luck,
Ed