1752567 Members
5399 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Using the installed PXE Service in a RIS Server for RDP

Ali_21
Advisor

Using the installed PXE Service in a RIS Server for RDP

I am planning to install the RDP on one of my subnets, which already has an existing DHCP Server and a RIS Server.

The RIS Server has a PXE Service installed on it.

My question is, if it is possible to use the existing RIS Server with its PXE Service for the Rapid Deployment Pack installation???

I do NOT wish to have TWO PXE Servers on ONE subnet! ;o)

Thanks
/Ali
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Using the installed PXE Service in a RIS Server for RDP

When you install RDP, it will ask you if you want to install PXE local, or if you have a PXE server already oin the network.

I have never used RIS AND RDP together, so not sure of any of the gotcha's, but I know the option is there to utilize an existing PXE (as ar as I can remember).

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Ali_21
Advisor

Yes the option is there, to utilize an existing PXE, but the question remains:

-Using RIS and RDP on the same subnet?

Well, I think that I just have to set this environment up in a lab and find out what actually happens... ;o)

Thanks
/Ali
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You probably will run into an issue where RIS OR RDP will become the first "thing to happen" then the other.

ANy reason why you want to continue using RIS with RDP? RDP can do all that RIS can do, and more.

You can probably disable RIS temporarily during the process, but I can't see both working together since the PXE boot process will select one or the other services first.

If you could set up rules in RIS to only look at certain IP addresses, then maybe they will work together. RDP can do MAC Masking if you have the same or similar NIC's in the machines you want to use RDP with... Just set up your DHCP to give out certain addresses to the MAC's in a certain range, and RIS takes care of the rest?

Test environment is ideal if you can do it. Please let us know the results.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Ali_21
Advisor

RIS is used for the "Client" installations.
RDP will be used for "Server" installations.

I will try to use both RIS and RDP on the same subnet in my lab environment, I will then post the results...

I will try to set up rules in RIS, then maybe they will work together.

/Ali
Paul Kratz
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ali,

a customer of mine will do the same kind of configuration.

Did you get it running?
Can you provide your experience.

Thanks Paul
Ali_21
Advisor

Is it possible to use the existing RIS Server with its PXE Service for the Rapid Deployment Pack installation???

YES, it is possible. I have tried it and it works just fine. During the RDP installation, just locate the RIS server as your PXE machine.

Another thing that I tried was to:

Instead of using RIS, I decided to use sysprep and make an hardware independent image for "all" my ProLiant server models. (I still use the PXE service on my RIS server for booting my servers)

Altiris released a paper discussing leveraging Sysprep with Altiris Deployment Server to create and deploy hardware independent images.

To download the paper --> Hardware Independent imaging with Deployment Server
http://www.altiris.com/support/forum/Framesearch.aspx?vpath=/aexkb/public%20articles/5.x/deployment%20solution/kb/hardware%20independent%20imaging.doc&art=AKB3884&source=Altiris%20Helpdesk&artID=5949&refpara=615721&key=sid&fname=Hardware+Independent+imaging+with+Deployment+Server

Hope this will help.
/Ali