ProLiant Deployment and Provisioning

Re: WinPE updating drivers

Bruce Ellefritz
Occasional Contributor

WinPE updating drivers

I have a bl20P G4 that wont run a RDP job. I keep getting the "Restarting DHCP client service" message. Other blades and VM's work ok so I think that the NC373i driver is needed to be added to WinPE but I'm not sure how. I think it is in the NIC driver part of the PE configuration tool so I will try there.
3 REPLIES 3
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,
Hi,
From your earlier thread, I assume you are using RDP 3.5. This version should have the latest WINPE i.e. WINPE 2005. Drivers for Bl20 g4 should be installed by default. Since I have just installed those server models using the same software version a couple of days before.
How have you setup your PXE configuration to boot? Set it to use "WINPE MANAGED".

Rgds,
Albert
Bruce Ellefritz
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, I started by using WinPE Managed but I was having other problems as reported by other users of 3.5. I was trying to use WinPE Managed to build VM's and it wouldn't run the job. I built my own WinPE using PE Configuration tool with the same settings and the VM's would get built ok.

For the bl20p G4 I have tried both WinPE Managed and my own WinPE with the same result, it keeps showing "Restarting DHCP client service". My DHCP server is on the same subnet and I have used RDP 3.5 to roll images to bl20p G3 blades with no problems.

I looked in the NIC card list in the WinPE Configuration tool after I saw other threads talking about NC373i and NC371i driver needs. The newest driver in the list was for a NC364 or something like that. I want to add the NC373i driver to the WinPE Managed image and to my own WinPE image for compatability. I see there is a "Have disk" button in the NIC card selection list when you are build a WinPE image. I thought that would be the way to incorporate a new driver into the WinPE iso image. But I wasn't sure and I also need to add both the x86 and the x64 driver.
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bruce,

What OS are you trying to install?

Below is the link for WINPE drivers for NC373i
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26836.html

RDP for Windows or Linux PE has two types of images x86 or X64. Depending on hardware on type of OS you are installing you need to use the appropriate image. Therefore if you are trying to install Windows X86 you update the X86 image or then fro x64 update your x64 image. You do not need to put both the driver types in the same image.

Hope I was clear.

Albert