1752762 Members
5041 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Windows 2008 unattended.xml and partitions

Chris m W
Advisor

Windows 2008 unattended.xml and partitions

Hi Everybody, has anybody successfully deployed Windows 2008R2 with having partitions configured in the unattended.xml file? I can get the install to work but the job never completes in the RDP Console because the Altiris Deployment service is not being installed. It is not being installed because the $OEM$ folder is not getting copied after the NTFS image is created. If I pull the Disksconfiguration portion from my unattend.xml file then the $OEM$ folder is created and the agent is installed. I tried calling HP twice but they will not support me unless I do not make any modifications to the unattend-std.xml file.

Thanks,

Chris
6 REPLIES 6
Chris m W
Advisor

By the way, attached is my xml file.

shocko
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I explained this in another post. You are overwriting the $OEM folder in your answer file. YOu need to specify in the RDP console that the initial image does not take up 100% of the target disk and then do the partitioning at the end of the install. I do this all the time in my builds. ;)

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Jase4772
Regular Advisor

Hi,

I had (until this thread) the same confusing scenario. When you say you do the partitioning at the end of the install is that a manual or scripted process?

Thanks

Jase

shocko
Honored Contributor

I use a simple diskpart script. In fact, I deploy all my Windows servers using scripted installs and then run an extensive script that I have developed that does the following:

• Install various pieces of 3rd party software
  • Install the HP management agents
  • Configure SNMP
  • Configure windows

The script runs across Windows 2000 through to 2008 R2 and across most types of HP hardware. I don't bother with images anymore as my environment is very dynamic and software is always getting patched etc. ;)

What exactly do you need to do

Jase4772
Regular Advisor

Hi,

My last remaining tasks now are to figure out the best method for drive sizing / configuration and some post install tidy ups. Similar to yourself I guess:

- Install AV

- Install desktop agent

- Tidy up drive partitions

- Configure SNMP

- Resize the display

- Add to domain

I've got the main done OS + PSP (maybe review my switches) and it's localised to the UK not the annoying MS default US :)

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated of course.

Thanks

Jason

shocko
Honored Contributor

All looks good Jase4772.

Is there something specifically you need instruction on? I also do the following:

1. Copy over the vcconfig conf file to pre-config the vc agent