ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748128 Members
4259 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1 CPU recognized under RedHat 7.2 with DL380G4

Michael Davies_2

1 CPU recognized under RedHat 7.2 with DL380G4

I've installed 2.4.9-31 enterprise, and the system will only recognize 1 CPU. Both CPU's are recognized in POST.

I do not have this problem with AS2.1, AS3.0, etc.

We had opened a case with HP without results: Case ID: 3208171856.

If anyone has identified a solution for this, please let me know.

Thanks!
Michael
4 REPLIES 4
Jerry Leinsing
Frequent Advisor

If you have a case number then this must be a silly response because they surely would have checked this but stranger things have happened.
If this were SCO Enterprise 5.0.x, you would need a SMP (Symmetrical MultiProcessor) license (a billable option) for the OS to see the second CPU. The hardware will see it OK.
I assume Linux would have a similar requirement? Is that license intalled?
Michael Davies_2

The system is properly licensed, and the same installation works with G3,G2,G1 servers.

I don't expect that there would be a solution to this problem, besides manually modifying the kernel somehow.

Thanks!
Michael
Kai-Uwe Schurig
Valued Contributor

Hi,

i assume you are using a SMP kernel ;-)
Do you have hyperthreading enabled or have you 2 physical CPU's ? Try to enable or disable HT in the RBSU. You should also look for some APIC /SMP settings in the BIOS and try to change them. Also change the OS in the Bios to Linux.
Finally you can try the boot options "acpi=oldboot" or "acpi=off".

Two links from HP:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00183132

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EU020515_CW01

Regards,

Kai-Uwe

Michael Davies_2

Thanks for your input, however, those suggestions do not work either - infact, when I disable the APIC in the BIOS, the system hangs, and can only be fixed by removing the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS. I suspect that there is some kernel modification required.

Michael