1752687 Members
5460 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 10 or 100 speed

Tracey_9
Occasional Advisor

10 or 100 speed

I have a ML530 I have set the network card to run 100 full duplex but we currently have a s/w issue where a piece of s/w is running really slow. Is there anyway I can check, any tests I can run to make sure the card is running at 100 mbps and not 10. The company whose s/w it is is blaming our network when we are convinced it is there s/w, we need proof that the speed is fine.

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

You can try to copy a large file from the server multiple times (so it gets transmitted from file cache memory) and measure the time.

10 MBit maximum data transfer rate is about 1 MBit/sec. If you get a faster speed then it must be 100 MBit/sec.

Note: if you use full duplex and at least one component doesn't support full duplex you'll get massive performance problems. We've had such a problem in our office with a certain hub that was supposed to to full duplex but actually didn't. When I set everything to half duplex the problems went away (and we replaced the hub and went back to full duplex).
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

Ooops a typo. Of course:

10 MBit maximum data transfer rate is about 1 MByte/sec.

On the bottom of your screen appear a icon lke a couple computer link by wire, double click and you can see the properties of your NIC.

Or you can ping to IP-Address in your LAN in order to check the speed when transmited a block of information.