1752328 Members
5993 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

101 error on boot

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

101 error on boot

After attempting to boot a DL380 that was built months ago, an error message came up saying "101-I/O ROM error" The 380 has 2 933/133 processors, a 5300 controller, an NC3131 nic, and a Lights Out board. The ROC is still present on the system board. I get this error after the system has detected the processors, memory, ROC, and the Lights Out board.

I removed the Lights Out board to eliminate that as the cause but still got the same error. The error comes before the system detects the 5300 controller which is what we have the drives attached to. I also took the 380 off of the Compaq switchbox and gave it it's own kb/mouse/monitor to eliminate a bad switchbox cable.

A Compaq tech was here yesterday to replace the system board which didn't do any good. With the new system board, the DL380 wouldn't even power up and the red "interlock fault" LED was lit.

Any ideas what could be the cause of this error?
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: 101 error on boot

I hate to say this... but it's probably the array controller. It has a ROM too. The interlock fault could easily be a mis-seated card (or CPU or memory module or...).
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the tip! I replaced the 5300 with a new one and that got rid of the I/O ROM error. When it continued to boot it gave a "non-system disk or disk error" message.

I switched the drive cable over to the ROC and it actually attempted to load NT but blue screened with an "Inaccessible Boot Device" message. Not surprising since it was built with the 5300 drivers not the 4200 that the ROC uses. I pulled the ROC, put the cable back on the 5300 and ran the hardware config utility in Smart Start to ensure the 5300 was set as the boot controller.

Rebooted and NT is running fine now!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the feedback