ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748176 Members
4144 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1600 6/500 won't POST

steve kowalsky

1600 6/500 won't POST

We had some parity errors, and slowly removed ram till they subsided. Finally, the last ram module started generating parity errors - and ordered new ram. Before installing any new ram the server quit and would not post. Powers on, and scsi drive leds flash, but no compaq logo on the screen. Swapped in new ram, but no post. Cleaned, dusted and reseated boards and cables. No post. Verified the P5 cable (per previous posts), but no post. Removed Smart Array 221 card. Still no post.
Ordered & replaced processor board. Still no post.

There is a green light in the processor cage, and all fans work. Smart Array 221 has a bank of 16 LEDS and the first 9 come on after power up.

Im not sure what to try next and looking for ideas. Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
Mark Skarratt

Steve,

I don't know what you've tried so maybe this might help, who knows. I would try and clear out the CMOS, from memory there was a DIP Switch on the Main Board you could change to do this, this should be documented on one of the labels inside the server. The fact that the server doesn't boot could suggest that one of the PPM's has failed, check to see if there is a failure light lit on any of the PPM's.

Regards

Mark
steve kowalsky

I hadn't tried clearing nvram, so I did that, but still no post. This is a single processor server, so just one PPM, and there is a green led lit up on the processor board, which I assume means it's good?
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Steve,

From experience I know that the small interconnect backplane starts to give connection problems once you have removed the processor or I/O cages. The P5 connector is also a known issue when adding DAT or DLT drives to the chassis but you have checked that already.

Please try the following:-

Remove the Processor and I/O cages (removing locking screws if necessary on the chassis and all cables to CD/floppy etc.) Check all connections on the interconnect backplane(Power and fan etc. once these have been removed as you can then get a much better view of things).

Once satisfied, re-insert the I/O cage and push it very firmly home. Don't just rely on the locking handle, push it hard with the palm of your hand until it's fully seated. Do the same with the processor cage and keep the chassis locking screws out for the moment as they can actually pull the cage a little bit away from its fully locked position in the backplane.

Check the remaining cabling.
Remove the power and SCSI cables from the SCSI backplane before applying power as the SCSI backplane and drives can present a significant load to the power supply.

Apply power.

With a bit of luck it might burst into life.

I assume the part you ordered for the Processor cage was 313622-001. This is the most common of the variants.

Good luck.

Brian

steve kowalsky

Thanks to both of you, Mark and Brian for your replies.

I found the problem and it was basic troubleshooting 101. Replace one component at a time and test.

When I received the new processor board (yep the replacement part was a rusty version of 313622-001), I *also* used the new ram when I should have been using the old (existing) ram.

All along I was thinking "this is acting like a pc with no ram" and I should not have ~assumed~ that the new ram was the right stuff, even though crucial.com says it was.

So, im running the ram tests in compaq diagnostics right now and we'll let that run a few passes before putting this lovely lady back to work.

FYI: I've attached a picture of the rusty replacement unit (on left) I was sent next to a picture of our old unit (on right).
steve kowalsky

Thanks again folks!