108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1720 Smart Hard Drive Failure Imminent

jgover

1720 Smart Hard Drive Failure Imminent

-Compaq Proliant 3000 Server
-Novell NetWare 5.1sp7
-RAID 5
I ran DAAD to find only one drive was faulty, replaced the drive and the error is now gone.
My questions are:
1) What happened to RAID 5 in this scenario, it appears to not have worked?
2) The the server is up now but the DATA volume has disappeared from the Netware partition set. What do I do now?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Ameen Khan S_1
Advisor

hi

I believe that your server is installed with SA 3200 with RAID 5. Good that you have run the utility to check for any other drive has failed. In your case no other drive is gone bad. Once you install the new drive the smart array controller will check the drive once the drive test is over it will start to rebuild the volume. The controller will flash the online led once per second. you can check the rebuild process using the online utilities for netware is CPQONLIN.NLM. This process might take several hours.

Thanks
jgover

The rebuild has already completed. The problem is now that there is no NetWare partition on that RAID 5 set, when you run NWCONFIG| the volume is gone and the partition set states there is 43GB free.
My guess is the RAID 5 set is toasted and I have to restore. Are there some other tools I can run to get the data back?
Thanks
Ameen Khan S_1
Advisor

boot to the SmartStart and Support Software CD Release 4.70 (or later) and execute the ACU. Plan a downtime of the server and try this option.

Thanks
jgover

Yes understood and already did that, that is how I knew my RAID 5 set was still there from running the ACU and also checked the status of logical drives. All good there.
The problem is that NetWare does not see the old volume it see it as free space.
Thanks
jgover

I could not figure this out. Had to resort to, recreating the NetWare partition and a restore.