New Discussion юеВ

1777 error message on post - done before I know

Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

1777 error message on post - done before I know

Hello everyone,

I have posted on this issue before one of our older DL360 G1s

The machine returns the following error on POST

1777 Slot 0 Drive Array - Proliant Storage Enclosure Problem Detected.
SCSI Port 2: Wide SCSI Transfer failed - Check SCSI cables.

Of course in a DL360 there are no SCSI cables exactly and the 2 disks in the unit plug into a backing plate (current one is SP 173829-001, which I have been told is the current rev), which interfaces with the MB directly.

In the past when I posted up on this Sunil suggested to dump the NVRAM. This had no effect in the past nor has it had any affect presently.

The last time this happened we fixed the issue with a new MB. This machine has an new MB and this has not helped to resolve this issue at all.

Does anyone have the definitive answer on what causes this issue?
why?
9 REPLIES 9
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: 1777 error message on post - done before I know

Hi,

Please Check the following information as listed:

-------------------------------------------

To resolve this issue, one of the following actions should be performed depending on the symptoms exhibited:

If the symptoms are exhibited intermittently, the user can upgrade the firmware on the Compaq Integrated Smart Array Controller to firmware version 1.50 or higher using the Compaq Options ROMPaq for Array Controllers (version 3.06 or higher) available on the Compaq website:
http://www.compaq.com/support/files/storage/index.html
If the symptoms are exhibited consistently, a Compaq Authorized Service Provider should replace the system board.

SERVICE ACTION

If the backplane is attached to a Compaq array controller and the symptoms described above are exhibited intermittently, advise the customer to upgrade the firmware on the array controller as described in the "Resolution/Solution" section.

To determine whether this issue affects the ProLiant DL360 server, use one of the following methods:

Method A for Determining Whether a Server Is Affected
To use Compaq Insight Manager to determine whether a ProLiant DL360 server is affected, perform the following:

Access Compaq Insight Manager.
Select the ProLiant DL360 server from the Insight Manager device list.
Select the Mass Storage System icon.
Under the Integrated Smart Array Controller icon, determine whether the Internal Storage System icon is displayed.
If the icon is displayed, this issue does not affect the server and no action is required.
If the icon is not displayed, replace the system board.

NOTE: If the online LEDs are ON for configured drives, or if all of the LEDs blink when the drive is selected in the ACU, then the backplane is working. These tests assume the backplane is connected to an array controller.

Method B for Determining Whether a Server Is Affected
To determine whether a ProLiant DL360 server is affected without using Compaq Insight Manager, perform the following:

Power down the system.
Wait 30 seconds after powering down the server, and then power up the server.
View the hard drive LEDs on the server to verify that all three LEDs on the hard drive(s) momentarily flash as the server is powered back up.
If all three LEDs illuminate, this issue does not affect the server and no action is required.
If all three LEDs do not illuminate, the system board should be replaced.

NOTE: A POST error message 1777 may occasionally, but not always, be displayed for this issue.

System Board Spares
If either of the preceding methods confirms that the server is affected, order the appropriate spare part and replace the system board as follows:

For any Compaq ProLiant DL360 server configured with a 933-MHz (or slower) Intel Pentium processor, order Compaq Spare Part Number 173837-001.
For any Compaq ProLiant DL360 servers configured with a 1-GHz (or faster) Intel Pentium processor, order Compaq Spare Part Number 224928-001.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Prashant,

The machine has the following:

Latest Bios
ROC firmware revision 1.50B
New Motherboard - MB

The issue occurs consistently on boot. I guess this one is simply going to have to be lived with.

Thanks
why?
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi Paul,

But have we tried the following :
to confirm.
--------------
To determine whether this issue affects the ProLiant DL360 server, use one of the following methods:

Method A for Determining Whether a Server Is Affected
To use Compaq Insight Manager to determine whether a ProLiant DL360 server is affected, perform the following:

Access Compaq Insight Manager.
Select the ProLiant DL360 server from the Insight Manager device list.
Select the Mass Storage System icon.
Under the Integrated Smart Array Controller icon, determine whether the Internal Storage System icon is displayed.
If the icon is displayed, this issue does not affect the server and no action is required.
If the icon is not displayed, replace the system board.

NOTE: If the online LEDs are ON for configured drives, or if all of the LEDs blink when the drive is selected in the ACU, then the backplane is working. These tests assume the backplane is connected to an array controller.

Method B for Determining Whether a Server Is Affected
To determine whether a ProLiant DL360 server is affected without using Compaq Insight Manager, perform the following:

Power down the system.
Wait 30 seconds after powering down the server, and then power up the server.
View the hard drive LEDs on the server to verify that all three LEDs on the hard drive(s) momentarily flash as the server is powered back up.
If all three LEDs illuminate, this issue does not affect the server and no action is required.
If all three LEDs do not illuminate, the system board should be replaced.

----------------------

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Prashant,

I did see your first post. Both method A and method B are for determining if the server is affected.

Well it is as the post error 1777 occurs on EVERY boot. So no need to keep going over old ground.

Both methods use the 'replace motherboard' for a fix. So I guess my new motherboard arrived with the same problem.

We no longer by DL360s, G2s or G3s either. They are just rubbish.

Thanks for the info though
why?
George Jires
Advisor

Hi,
I have to solve the same problem on DL360 now,but with additional POST ERROR:
1721-Slot 0 Drive Array - Drive Parameter Tracking Predicts Imminent Failure -
The following driver(s) should be repleced when condition permit:
SCSI Port 2: SCSI ID 1

SCSI backplane was replaced yesterday,because replacing of Integrated Smart Array had no effect. After that server worked several hours until another failure of both disc...

Disk on SCSI ID 1 was replaced today,so we will see.

Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

That particular error is usually related just to the disks or rather a disk. I have seen this error a number of times.

I just make a call and replace the disk to fix the issue.

Cheers
why?
George Jires
Advisor

Hi,
I agree with You,it seems to be some disk drive error,probably.
They already replace disk ID0,because first problem was its "failure" , it went to offline.
But,in fact,was this caused by the second disk drive ? I hope so :-)
George Jires
Advisor

So,both disks was already replaced,the second yesterday - and everything was O.K.
Because the server as a member of Citrix farm is every night restarted (I don`t know why), customer complain about POST ERROR 1777 again.
I`m going to replace system board ...
George
Paul Young_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

The 1777 is an error that I have had so many different reasons for. So far I have not heard any reasons for the error that holds water.

The only fix I have seen that worked was to replace the MB and that seems to be a drastic step.

We have had so many hardware related issues with our 50 DL 360 G1s that we no longer use that model at all - including the newer G2s and so on.

That said I do have a DL360 that runs ok with a 1777 on post. Though it is certainly not a production machine!!
why?