ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751838 Members
5314 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

1783 - Slot 3 Drive Array Controller Failure.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Diego Ochoa

1783 - Slot 3 Drive Array Controller Failure.

I Have a Proliant 1600 runnig since 2000 with no problems. Now, after post, display "1783 - Slot 3 Drive Array Controller Failure.". No rompaqs applied nor any change of configuration. I have read on the troubleshooting guide that I need to reseat the array accelerator module and reseat the controler on the PCI slot and I have no idea how to do that. Anyone can help me or have any idea? Thanks at advance.

Diego.
9 REPLIES 9
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: 1783 - Slot 3 Drive Array Controller Failure.

Diego:

Here is a link to the service manual for your server:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/techpubs/maintenance_guides/179480-001_rev3_us.pdf

In this document are directions on removing and replacing the array controller.
You will find the suspect controller in PCI Slot 3. You can identify the slots either from the side pannel sticker or from the above document.

Although, re-seating the controller may very well fix this error, it is a good chance that it will not. If you have been runing fine for that long and have made no changes or opened the box since 2000, it is likely that the controller has in fact, failed.

Let us know what you find?
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Here is a document that shows one of the many controllers applicable to this server. In Chapeter four are some instructions as well as drawings that may help you through the steps in repairing your server.

G'Luck!

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/techpubs/installation_guides/295197-002.pdf
Enjoy!

Diego Ochoa

Thanks you very much John! I'm checking the docs that you told me.

For more info:
On friday, when the server go down, I make it a deep dust clean and, after that, the server go live again, so I leave it with "diagnostics for windows" running for the weekend, but today I found a blue screen and, after booting, the problem apears again.
If helps, on the bottom of the error message it says "[Command failure (cmd=11h, err=020h)]

Thanks for the support.

Diego.
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Did you have it log the diagnostics to a diskette? If you did, look through the log and see if any errors are listed?
Enjoy!

Diego Ochoa

No I'm not.
I will next time, thank you very much.

Diego.
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Diego:
What Controller model are you working with?

After re-seating the card, did the server POST correctly or did it still give the 1783 error?

If the controller came up correctly, what was the Bios Version listed?

Did it list all of your configured arrays?

I hope you had a backup or can get a good one soon.
Enjoy!

Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

Diego,

If you just did a cleaning of the server, it's possible that some of the dust got where it shouldn't. When you reseat the controller and the accelerator module, clean those components and the PCI slot very throughly with compressed air. Try to clean under the chips, if you can. That way, if the cleaning pushed dust up under something, you can blast it back out.

Hopefully, it won't be anything serious!

Good luck,
Seth
Dave_180
Valued Contributor

I'd wager a guess that its a 3200 controller. I've seen the message before and 99 times out of 100 - you need to replace the controller. I have seen it a couple times that changing the slot works - although it isn't likely. 340855-001 is the spare part number.
Diego Ochoa

Well, I have replaced the card with a COMPAQ SMART-2DH Array Controller and everything go fine. Thank you all for yoru support.

Diego Ochoa.