1748076 Members
5327 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1785 - Slot 8 Drive Not Configure, Proliant 5000

Techie Dany
Occasional Contributor

1785 - Slot 8 Drive Not Configure, Proliant 5000

Hello. I recently purchased this Proliant 5000 server for a good price. When I boot up it gives me the following:

1179648KB Detected
Compaq System Bios - E16 (4/30/1999)
(Goes through Processory slots. 4 processors)

Slot 8 Compaq Smart -2/P Array Controller (revB,v.410) 0 Logical Drives
1785 - Slot 8 Drive Array Not Configured
Run Compaq Array Configuration Utility

SCSI Controller, System Board: ID5-Compaq cRD-254V

====
All the 5 harddrives come up with green lights. No amber ones.

From my searching it looks like I need to use the SmartStart CD. The server came with v4.90B cd's but installed in the server is v4.10.

Do I need to do a system erase and install this newer version? I assume this will then setup the array going throught the Smart Start and allow for OS install?

Thank you for your time
CD
4 REPLIES 4
Daniel Thrun
Valued Contributor

Greetings. It would be better if you had the laster or latest CD's for that model. 5.50 was the last CD' that actually installed the System Partition (F10) right off the CD. Anyway the 4.90 CD will work but the System Configuration Utility will not be the lates version of 2.58a.

You do not need to wipe the system clean, just insert the 4.90 CD and when it loads up to the screen that lists the Utilities click the Array Configuration Utility. Configure the Array Controller as you require and then ensure that you "save the configuration" prior to exiting the utility. I would also ensure that you install the System Partition as this will help you later when you want to add/remove hardware.

You can also download and make the Floppy Disks that could be used to update the F10 to 2.58a.
Techie Dany
Occasional Contributor

thank you so much for answering. I'm going to try that 4.90 disk today to set the array and partition.

How much does the 5.50 smartdisk cd cost?

Thanks again
Dany
Chris Stoneley
Frequent Advisor

Just ordered my SmartStart 5.50 from HP - came out to $28.11 including tax, shipping and handling for both discs. I looked for a while on eBay but 5.50 never seemed to show up. I find it interesting that 7.10 is free as an ISO on the HP Web site but 5.50 is not.

Chris
Chris Stoneley
Frequent Advisor

BTW have also discovered that your primary array controller should be in slot 5 so it's on the primary PCI BUS. Slot 8 is reserved for a video card upgrade... with one network card the network card should go in slot 3 in the same configuration. The SmartStart CD works beautifully from start to finish if you use the delete / erase configuration utility first... even down to guided installs.

Chris