1753980 Members
6649 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

1785 error on boot

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

1785 error on boot

I have a DAT backup tape on the integrated smart array, but no hard drives. When I boot I get an error:

1785-Slot 0 Drive Array Not Configured
No Drives Detected.

I tried updating the firmware, but the downloaded file was not newer than the file on the Smart-setup CD.

What can I do to get rid of this error? If I have to upgrade the firmware, where specifically do I download it?
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: 1785 error on boot

Channel 1

The default configuration for Channel 1 of ROC is cabled to the server's external SCSI connector (68-Pin) found on the rear of the chassis. Channel 1 is designed to support tape drives. Channel 1 can also be configured to support internal tape drives when these devices are installed in the server's Removable Media Bays. If tape drives are configured internally from Channel 1, the server's external SCSI connector should not be interfaced to SCSI devices.

Channel 1 provides standard SCSI operation from SCSI Adapters whether the ROC Module is installed or not.

Important: Tape drive support is possible on either channels from ROC, but not both channels simultaneously. Compaq SCSI Rule: From a single SCSI channel, devices can be configured internally or externally but not from both simultaneously.

Channel 1 does not support Tape Libraries or Tape Auto-Loaders.

Channel 1 does not support RAID.

Channel 2

Channel 2 is configured in the default configuration to be interfaced to the server's 4 x 1" internal disk drive cage supporting Wide Ultra2 and Ultra3 SCSI Hot Plug disk drives. Up to a maximum of 6 x 1" drives can configured from ROC. If configured, the optional 2 x 1" Wide Ultra2 SCSI Removable Media Bay Disk Drive Cage must be daisy chained to the 4 x 1" drive cage providing the maximum 6 x 1" drive support.

If 1785 POST Error still appear, try removing the Raid On Chip Board and see if error goes away.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: 1785 error on boot

I am a bit confused by your answer. Does Channel 1 and 2 refer to SCSI ports 1 and 2 on the system board? If so I am still at a loss. My DAT is connected to slot 1, and there are no external SCSI devices (my hard drives are on a 431 card). If I wished to remove the ROC, would it have any harmful effects? And where is the ROC (it does not appear to be labeled in any of the manuals)?

More importantly, while your e-mail is informative, it is not prescriptive. Are you saying that the error message occurs because the DAT is in the wrong channel, or because there are other devices on the same chain? Are you suggesting the DAT tape go on a specific channel, or are you saying it does not matter? Your last sentence says "If the 1785 POST error still appears." Still appears after doing what? You have not suggested any action. In other words, what should (can?) I do? What are you suggesting? What causes the error, and how can I fix it?

Thank you

Eric Freed