ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753834 Members
8407 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

1787 POST on Proliant 350ML

Joe Krupiak

1787 POST on Proliant 350ML

My new client is recieving a 1787 POST error on his ML350. F1 will let the the server start but it is running slow.
It's a standard system so without having access to documentation or the original PO I am assuming that it has two Fujitsu 9.0Gb drives in a RAID configuration.
What are the odds that it is a bad SCSI cable causing this or is this a long shot?
Would I best be advised to have the client buy a new drive and from what I have read just reinstall the new drive and have it rebuild?
I am more of a system software tech so the RAID is not something that I have dealt with before.

Thanks,
Joe

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Storage > General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Re: 1787 POST on Proliant 350ML

Joe,

The error indicates a hard drive is in a failed state which will cause performance issues until the array is back in an optimal state.

Its always possible for it to be a cable issue, but most likely its just the hard drive that needs replacement.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Joe Krupiak

Thanks, that's what I thought. I am visiting the client tonight. I didn't think it would be that easy.

Just one more questtion if you have time. The new drive does not have to match the old drive exactly as far as capacity is concerned. Is that correct? That's what I have been reading in various documentation about RAID.

Thanks again,
Joe
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Joe,

The replacement drive must be equal to or greater than the original hdd. There needs to be enough room to write the data obviously so it could never be smaller. If the hdd was larger, it would not utilize the additional space.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Joe Krupiak_1

Thanks,

Now I have big trouble. I popped the failed drive out to check capacity/model, etc and when I popped it back in a restarted the server I get "invalid disk press F1 to continue". It can't find the W2k oprerating system.

If I go into the SCSI ROM setup the array shows up as FAILED?

Is there any way to recover from a failed array?

Thanks,
Joe