ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753262 Members
4853 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

1792 Secondary Disk error after installing second processor.

Matt McElreath
Occasional Advisor

1792 Secondary Disk error after installing second processor.

We have an ML350 Gen-1 Server with an 866 mhz processor in it. We had an extra 866 processor lying around that we wanted to put in. When I went to put it in, the processor came up fine but now I am getting an error when its booting up:

1792 - Secondary disk controller failure
The drive is not installed correctly or has failed. Make sure that any jumpers are set correctly and that power and drive cables are connected, both to the drive and the system board. Also verify that the cables are the correct cables for your computer model. If this message persists, you may need service for your PC.

I made sure that I didnt knock any cables loose while installing the processor. I also tried unplugging the CDROM and even the Disk Drives and still get the error.

When I take the new processor out, everything boots up fine though. It has been working fine as a single processor box for a few weeks.

Is there some setting I'm missing?

The date for the bios on the system is 5/30/2003.
8 REPLIES 8
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: 1792 Secondary Disk error after installing second processor.

Hi Matt,

I assume you are also fitting the required VRM module for the second CPU. The VRM spare part number is 157825-001. This will be on a label.

Brian
Matt McElreath
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I have installed the VRM. Like I said, the processor is being recognized fine. I have attached a picture of the screen.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

did you try putting the new processor in the slot where the old processors in located?

have you tried swapping processors?

also tried applying Firmware CD 7.5 or 7.4

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24777.html

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23331.html

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Matt McElreath
Occasional Advisor

I havent tried swapping the processors. I will try that today. I tried applying both firmware cds but no hardware was detetcted. Is there an older version out there I can try? One thing I didnt think of is trying to download the firmware for the disk contoller independently and installing that. I will look to see if I can find it.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

so what do you get when you run only the new processor on the slot?

yes there are other versions look here

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/9014.html
Matt McElreath
Occasional Advisor

I tried each of the processors in slot 2 and both of them give me the disk controller error. I thought I had tried each of the processors by themselves in slot 2 before and they worked. We had the wrong VRM for the second processor so I was trying both processors to make sure it wasnt a bad slot.
Now I have the right part number and we are getting this error.

Also I went to put both processors in again and I got the following error:

805: Bootstrap processor is not the lowest stepping processor in the system. This is an unsupported configuration. Swap the position of the processors on the System Board to correct the problem.

So I swapped the processors and the error went away.

I looked this up. Does this mean that the processors are not the same? Does that make a difference?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yes both processors must be the same

you can not mix different processors in server

regards

Matt McElreath
Occasional Advisor

According to this page: http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en&docId=emr_na-c00333153-1
The processors should co-exist as long as I have them in the right slots.

I still need to figure out why the processors are causing the Secondary disk controller failure error when they are in slot 2. Does anyone know exactly where the firmware download for the controller is? Its the one that has VGA and ethernet on it too.