ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752777 Members
6058 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 17xx-Controller in lock up State

Alvin Lau_1

17xx-Controller in lock up State

I have two ProLiant DL380 G2 servers, and it appears the 5i controller cards on both are non-functional.

One server gives me the 17xx-Controller in lock up State error message.

The other server attempts to initialize the 5i controller but fails. It is unable to spin up any drives and eventually just sits there with a blinking cursor.

Any ideas on how to proceed? Will replacing the onboard 5i controller cards resolve these problems?
14 REPLIES 14
Richard_387

I also got the same problem. Have you got the answer ?
John_325
Contributor

I am also having this problem. Has anyone found a solution? I think I might have found that it could be the Raid Controller going bad...

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.
David Seffren

I have the problem as well. Hopefully someone will respond with a solution instead of dittoing the problem. I have a spare 5i controller which I will install on Sun 6/26/05.
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

When I first got my MSA1000 we had an issue when on startup the controller locked itself (Critical lockup) and refused to budge... sounds similar to what you have here.

The engineer told me that the MSA (which is base on Smart Array technology) does this to protect the disks from being trashed.

I assume you have the latest firmware installed on the controller already ?

At the end it was a known issue (inside HP at least) with the MSA F/W at the time, but one of the disks was a bit suspect.

When the MSA locked up, one of the LED's on one of the 14 disks stayed on. Anyway the engineer swapped the disk, power cycled the MSA and it all came back to life.

Do you have any HDD LED's that stay illuminated when the controller locks up ? If so is it always the same disk ?
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
George Nanobashvili

I have identical problem. LED is on only on one (always the same HDD). the HDDs are fine because i had another similar server and they boot up fine there.
Richard_387

My Controller stop working right now. Anyone that already replace the controller got the problem solved ? Please let me know so I can replace mine too.
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

you can try the following steps when you have this issue:

1) reseat controller
2) disconnect all scsi cabling
3) attempt a firmware update with the firmware maintenance cd (latest at the moment is 7.4):
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23331.html

if those three steps do not make the lock up error go away you have no choice but to replace the controller or systemboard if it is embedded.
Eran Niditz

how do i reset a 5312 array controller ????
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Open a new thread.
No matter where you go, there you are.