1748054 Members
4646 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 1850R won't boot SmartStart 5.5 or floppy drive

rdarlin2
Occasional Advisor

1850R won't boot SmartStart 5.5 or floppy drive

I have a hand-me-down 1850R with a smart-2DH array controller and 3 9.1gb drives. It didn't see a boot disk but the array sees 2 logical drives.

Trying to go to system partition when hitting F10 didn't work, system partition not found.

I went ahead and installed UBUNTU, and partioned the two logical drives that already existed - install went fine until I atempted to reboot without the ubuntu cd. Result=unable to find boot disk.

Decided issue was with system partition, since I could access the array drives successfully.

Smartstart 5.5 would boot to initial .BMP image, drive lights would blink a few times, cd would blink a few times - then everything would stop.

Decided that issue was a bad burn of SS - reburned at 4x but same problem. reseated all cables.

Went to motherboard switches and turned #6 on - rebooted through array config (mem and proc b4 that) - powered down and returned #6 to off. Rebooted and array still sees 2 logical drives but I get following message:
177-Configuration Not Complete
Controller Order Not Setup

Scanning for SCSI Devices... no scsi devices detected

Press "F1" to continue and F10 for system partition utilities.

F10 still doesn't work (no surprise)
F1 with SS IN CD does same thing stopping 15 secs or so after image.
F1 with no CD - gets msg:
Error Booting System Partition
Boot Config diskett from A:

So since I can't get the SS CD to work, I am down to using the SCU diskettes... BUT I can't get the floppy to respond (which has never been bootable).

Can someone help me?
1) unable to boot from floppy.
13 REPLIES 13
Phil.Howell
Honored Contributor

In the bios there are settings for "boot order" and "controller order" ; it looks like the latter is not set.
You could also try "erase nvram"
Do you have an ILO port? If so you sould run smartstart from a remote source.
Phil
Chris Rosan2
Frequent Advisor

I've got some of these (1 is still mission critical in production).

Make sure you've got the latest firmware. I had big issues on one of them a few years ago due to a bad bios version.

It does'nt have ILO. This server is about 10 years old.

I've got a couple here you can have if you want to fly to Melbourne Australia to get them :-)
rdarlin2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply.

Since I can't get into the system partition I can't change the configuration and boot order.

Anyone have ideas on getting the SS CD to boot the SS CD fully? Any hardware item that could be affecting the CD drive at the initial start of the SS interface... or the SS program access to the array drives at that point?

I'm willing to try just about anything.
Chris Rosan2
Frequent Advisor

You can also try a slightly older version of smartstart.

Did you verify the MD5 of the smart start download before you burnt it?

rdarlin2
Occasional Advisor

I looked for the valid checksum on the site but couldn't find it. So I downloaded the .iso a second time for my second attempt to burn (@4x). Did I miss it? Can you point me to it?
rdarlin2
Occasional Advisor
Chris Rosan2
Frequent Advisor

There are many programs that will tell you the md5 for a file, but i use an explorer plugin available from http://beeblebrox.org. It's called "hashtab" and will be an extra tab when you go to the file properties.

That is assuming you can get the MD5 from HP's website for a download this old.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

There should be a switch to reset the BIOS setup, check the inside of the cover.

There was a problem with the fw for the TEAC CD drives. Upgrade if needed.
(Choose Win NT 4.0, to find it)
Here's the direct link:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254604&prodNameId=257743&swEnvOID=24&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I9026

Also check out the available tools: ACU, SCU etc is available on floppy, at least if you choose Win NT 4.0 (If you get the floppy to work)

Accept or Kudo

rdarlin2
Occasional Advisor

Chris: Yes, I'd need the Cksum from HP - but I don't see that on their site. See the URL I posted above where I downloaded the .iso image.

gregersenj: I used the 'clear NVRAM' switch #6 referenced above - it didn't completely clear configuration, as the array still sees the 2 logical drives - but it didn't help my problem with not being able to boot from Floppy (so I could use the SCU diskettes). Thanks for the link to the CD ROmpak - will try it if I can ever get the floppy to be recognized.