ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748204 Members
4005 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

1850R won't boot with 2nd power supply

Mark Schafer_1

1850R won't boot with 2nd power supply

My Proliant 1850R won't boot with 2 power units installed and powered up. It will boot with either one powered up and the other one not powered up.

The reason I had decided to use a 2nd power supply was that they are load-sharing and to use only one unit means it burns out after around a month. The server acts as a backup of large graphics files. The server has its two 9GB hard disks for the OS and a 120GB hard disk for the data backup.

Has any one else had this problem. Do I have a hardware problem?
3 REPLIES 3
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Re: 1850R won't boot with 2nd power supply

Sounds like it...

If both power supplies work on their own in either bay, then it is most likely the power supply backplane on the server giving you the problem.

Part number is 333112-001.

If the server is still under warranty, call us at 1-800-652-6672 for replacement.

Cheers,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Mark Schafer_1

Thanks Janine,

No I'm not under warranty. How easy is this part to install? And how can I go about making absolutely sure I've identified my problem. (I just splashed out on the power supplies which obviously didn't fix it.)

Thanks in advance.
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark;

No guarantees that it's the power supply backplane but it's a good guess given your symptoms.

The part lists for $35.00 at our spares store - http://h30121.www3.hp.com/sparesstore/default.asp?mscssid=D5RDH30LLJP59GLGMBVAKUH2H6N9EPWB&Create=1

It might be worth a try.

I have the removal and replacement guide for the server in pdf format. Email me at janine.bertolo@hp.com if you'd like it.

I'll warn you ahead of time - replacement of the power supply backplane isn't covered in the pdf.

Maybe that means it's so simple it doesn't need documentation! :)

I'm trying to find one in our boneyard here in the lab so I can tear it apart for you, but nothing so far...

Hope that helps,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.