7852 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 194MB lost on a Windows ML370 G3

William Della Noce
Occasional Advisor

194MB lost on a Windows ML370 G3

Hi Guys

We have an ML370 G3 runing windows 2003 standard server SP1 with 2GB of RAM. Obviously windows says that the RAM available was 2GB. Now we added 2 gigs more (2 PC2100 modules of 1GB each) but now Windows show that there is only 3.81GB of RAM available. I ran a memory tester and no problem was detected with any of the memory modules.

Any idea where are the lost 194MB?

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

This is just a "guess". Maybe is using for video memory or shared with another device?

I don't know if ML servers share video memory with RAM. If so, then why before did not borrowed the memory? A BIOS setting change?

I think that what i'm saying has no sense.

At boot time, hardware level, do you see the full 2GB?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

William:

Even though Windows 2003 Standard does not support more that 4GB, try uing the /PAE switch in your boot.ini file. Let me/us know what happens.

Normally, you would use this swithch to address memory beyond 4GB. Technically, you have @4.1Gb and Proliant Servers/Windows Server 2003 sometimes has a difficult time addressing that last bit of RAM. I think it ha to do with how the BIOS loads as I was reading that somewhere.

More info... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283037

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

William Della Noce
Occasional Advisor

Hi Guys

Thanks to all of you for your support. First about the question if the server is using the missing memory for video or other stuff I dont think so. When the server had just 2 gigs windows reported 2 gigs and that's makes me believe that this is not the case.

About the boot.ini parameter I will try it right now.

William Della Noce
Occasional Advisor

About the question if the server is running the latest BIOS the answer is yes. The version of the bios installed is dated 9/15/2004.

About the /PAE swithch on the boot.ini this swith only applies to window 2003 enterprise edition and datacenter edition, and the equivalent windows 2000 version.

Best regards
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Maybe this document will help:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_CN0409W
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..