ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748074 Members
5213 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2.5" SAS Single Port and 2.5" SAS Dual Port with E200i controller

Kerrydh

2.5" SAS Single Port and 2.5" SAS Dual Port with E200i controller

Can someone help me confirm if the HP Smart Array E200i will only support Single Port SAS drives?

In everything I read on these forums and other support docs, it leads one to believe that single and dual port drives are fully interchangeable. The only issue is that our E200i smart array refuses to recognize dual port SAS drives.

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmmmmm well ...hope this clears it up
dual port sas and single can be interchanged

A4. Yes, dual port SAS drives are compatible with servers and storage enclosure which only support one port on the hard drive. The drive will function as a single port device in this configuration.

Q5. When should a customer use dual ported hard drives?
A5. Dual port SAS drives are the standard in the drive industry and single port drives are being phased out. Dual port hard drives are ideally suited for dual port enabled external storage systems requiring high levels of redundancy and dual data paths to the hard drive. Dual port SAS drives may also be deployed in single port servers and enclosures where the highest levels of reliability and performance are a requirement.

from hp

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/serial/sas/questionsanswers.html#4b

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Enjoy :)

This is how we thank in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

what server what generation and how many disks in it...
Kerrydh

We have the DL365 G1 with the Smart Array E200i with a (newly installed) 128MB Battery Backed cache. We want to implement RAID 5.

Up to now, the server has been using RAID 1 with two single port 15K drives. We can't get the server to recognize any of our dual port drives (we don't have any spare single port drives).

When the machine boots, the dual port drives have a green light for a while - until the E200i finishes initializing. Then the drives have a red light showing.
TTr
Honored Contributor

So far you have told us twice that the e200 does not recognize the dual port drives by giving us visual feedback (you looking at the drives/lights).
Have you heard of ACU?
Kerrydh

Oh PLEASE. Do you think I am that stupid!!! How insulting. No points for anybody. Sorry.

I found out another way that there is an incompatibility with the firmware on the drives vs. the controller.
TTr
Honored Contributor

Oh PLEASE. Do you think I am that stupid!!!

Now more than ever!
Kerrydh

Mr. TTr, (You asked for it with that stupid post!)
That was such an intelligent come-back. Simply copy-past my comment.... Wow! How long did you have to think about that?

I would suggest if you want to really be helpful that you stop acting all high and mighty and start asking intelligent, meaningful questions that actually move the CUSTOMER towards a solution. Did you even thing about asking about the firmware versions? I doubt it!

I'm surprised I even suggested you ask intelligent questions. Now that I think about your posts, I don't think you have any intelligence. I would be surprised if you can pour piss out of a boot even when the instructions are written on the heel.

By the way, you were wrong, I only mentioned the lights ONCE. It evident you are the one that looks quite stupid here.
TTr
Honored Contributor

I didn't think I would get some entertainment in these forums. Not bad for a Friday afternoon!
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

TTR Kerrydh thinks the points are euros,,

but really kerrydh,

you should be providing as much info as possible

starting with os what version how many bits
what firmware cd used which software cd rom used for drivers etc

what you have tried etc

and we can help but we cannot write a long list of all possibilities as i am sure you appreciate.. thanks this is meant to be posotive :)