1753505 Members
7121 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2.58 Firmware

Rick Underwood
Occasional Advisor

2.58 Firmware

I believe there is possible problem with 2.58 Firmware for the 5I controller. I've installed on 2 servers (DL380/G2) and both work fine for a couple of reboots, but then the System does not recognize the 5I Controller.
6 REPLIES 6
Nathan Gervais
Trusted Contributor

When you say that it does not recognize the controller, is it initializing or are you getting a post error?

Did you update it with an online rom flash (Windows) or offline (SmartStart / Rom Update Utility)?

have you reseated the 5i?

do you have a BBWC (Battery Backed Write Cache) attached to these servers?
Rick Underwood
Occasional Advisor

"When you say that it does not recognize the controller, is it initializing or are you getting a post error?"

Answer: No post errors, simply will not initiaize.

Did you update it with an online rom flash (Windows) or offline (SmartStart / Rom Update Utility)?

Answer: Online ROM, then reboot.

have you reseated the 5i?

Answer: Yes, couple of times.

do you have a BBWC (Battery Backed Write Cache) attached to these servers?

Answer: No.

Thanks for the advice!!

Rick Underwood
Nathan Gervais
Trusted Contributor

At this point i would see if you can get the offline version and try to flash it from the smartstart Firmware update CD and see if it will still detect and reflash it.

If its still not responding then you might want to clear the NVRam on the system (System Maintenence Switch 6).

Other then that your probably looking at getting it replaced.
Rick Underwood
Occasional Advisor

If its still not responding then you might want to clear the NVRam on the system (System Maintenence Switch 6).

What's this 'system maintenance switch 6'?

Thanks.
Nathan Gervais
Trusted Contributor

On the system board itself there is bank of 6 switches [located underneath the cpus on the mobo]

Turn switch 6 to the on position and power on the server for 10 seconds or so then power off and throw the switch back. Your NVRam should be cleared.

Its equivalent to reseting your CMOS.
Rick Underwood
Occasional Advisor

Well, when attempting to use the Firmware diskette, the repsponse was; "No supported devices."

When attempting to 'reset' the NVRAM, no 5I Controller initialization occurred.

I guess, I'll have to place yet another hardware replacement for the 5I Controller.

However, having just installed THIS replacement, I have no confidence that it will not happen again!

OUCH!
Rick