ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1747984 Members
4477 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: (2) ProLiant DL380G6 servers - Hot Swap drives into "Backup" server?

Shane Antisdel

(2) ProLiant DL380G6 servers - Hot Swap drives into "Backup" server?

I searched the forums for somebody trying to set up this situation, but came up with nothing, so here goes:

We have a client who has purchased two DL380G6 servers - one of which we are configuring with 2 drives mirrored for OS, 3 drives raided for data, and loading with Win2008 Standard Server.

If Server #1 should have a failure and need to be out of commission for any period of time, he would like to remove those 5 drives from the #1 Server, slap them into the #2 Server, and then be up and running in minutes while the first server is being repaired.

The question is: has anyone ever tried this scenario? And if so, is there anything we can do during the build stage to make this more probable/possible?

Thanks for your input...

Awaiting the laughter,
Shane A.
8 REPLIES 8
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

This should work fine. The array configuration is stored on the drives, so moving them into a different server, even if it were a different model should work fine.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

yes, it will work, just put drives into the same slots in second server..

Jan
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

As others have said it will work fine. The RAID information is stored on the RIS area of each hard disk. so moving the drives to the new server won't be an issue. It's best to keep the drives in the same slot order when moved. The only issue you will run across is the MAC addresses will be different on the 2nd server so Windows will add them as new NICS and the networking information will need to be updated/reconfigured.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Shane Antisdel

Thanks much for the replies. My suspicion was that it would work, but having not actually ever encountered this exact scenario, I was a little nervous.

Thanks again for your help! I appreciate it...
-Shane A.
Ken Krubsack
Trusted Contributor

The other thing you'll want to make sure of is that you keep the firmware versions between the two the same - especially the array controllers. If you get far enough out of sync, you may wind up with a situation where the array controller on the standby won't recognize the array created on the active server. I have seen array controllers complain about that.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

To be more specific, new firmware will recognize drives created on older firmware but not the other way around.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Shane Antisdel

I suspected as much - we had already planned to upgrade them in parallel in the future.

And we did implement this solution, and it is working like a charm here in our shop. When we deliver the servers next month, I think the client will be very pleased.

Thanks to all on the forum for their help! It is GREATLY appreciated.
-Shane A.
Ken Krubsack
Trusted Contributor

Jimmy, you're right - I should have been more explicit about that.