4491 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

2 Questions (Proliant PL1600R)

Whimsickler
Advisor

2 Questions (Proliant PL1600R)

Hello,

I just purchased this Server from a buddy, but didn't get any other disks that should've came with it. Here's my 2 questions:

1.) How do I access the bios? I hear I need a diskette to get into the bios. Where can I obtain this software or diskette? Can I dl it and just write it to my floppy?

2.) I wanted to reformat the HD's (1 9.1 gb, and 3 18.2 gb's). I hear there's a special way do doing that also. How would I go about it?

Please help. Thanks!

Whimsickler
19 REPLIES 19
Whimsickler
Advisor

Re: 2 Questions (Proliant PL1600R)

anyone? :) (bump)
Dave_180
Valued Contributor

If it were me - I'd get a System Erase Disk. This will clear the disk and make all the previous configuration invalid so you can have your way with it.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17918.html

The easiest way to set up a server is with a SmartStart CD (5.5) is the last version that is used with the 1600. I'm not sure if you'd be able to get your hands on one or not. Maybe see if your buddy can hook you up.

The rest of the firmware and drivers are all here which should give you a few more things check out.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1126.html

Have fun.
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

The BIOS setup program is disk based. You can run it from floppy disk, SmartStart cd or hard drive.

If you install the system using the SmartStart cd it will create a system partition that contains setup and can be accessed by pressing F10 during POST.

Do you have an array controller ? If yes you probably need the Array Configuration Utility (ACU). ACU can be accessed from SmartStart CD (which you don't seem to have) or downloaded and run from floppy disk. Later it can be installed on the harddrive and run while the OS is running.

Try to get a SmartStart cd (version 5.5 or older, 5.5 is best, 6.x is for newer systems).
Whimsickler
Advisor

Hello Fellas,

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLIES! :) I will ask my buddy again if he can get me the SmartStart CD's. I will give your advices a try...Thanks again!

Whim

Whimsickler
Advisor

hhmmm...doesn't look like i'll be able to get these cd's from my buddy...the only way for me to get them would be to call hp for them. i tried to contact them today, but their office was already closed...i'm just wondering how much would the smartstart cd's 5.5 cost? thanks!

Whim
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

I don't know the price, sorry.

But all drivers etc can be downloaded from the HP web site:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1126.html

Whimsickler
Advisor

Hello Folks,

OK, I managed to get my hands on SmartStart CD's version 4.90...I was going to do the assisted installation, but that requires the Compaq Server Profile Diskette. Can I grab this online? Thanks!

Whim
Leon Rosier
Respected Contributor

You can create a profile diskette yourself.

Format a floppy and create a file on it named SPD.ini

You can use notepad for it.

Leon
Dave_180
Valued Contributor

Another way if you are a DOS man -

Command prompt - edit spd.ini - save and exit.

The assisted install can sometimes get goofy - the Manual config can be a little less of a pain - in my opinion.

4.9 is a good version to use - seemed to be pretty stable. You can always update a lot of the 'goods' later.