cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 drives failing out of a 3 disk RAID 5

crdavis
Occasional Visitor

2 drives failing out of a 3 disk RAID 5

In short of possibly having to rebuild my server, I thought I would throw this issue out here and see if maybe someone has a better idea for me.

I have a 3 SCSI Disk Raid 5 array and had drive 3 fail. I replaced with a new drive and wouldn't rebuild. Ran Smartstart diagnostics on it and found that drives 1 and 2 are having issues. Attached file show the errors...

The server still operates as a file server to the users, so it's not dead in the water, but still operational. Any easier workarounds without having to backup and rebuild? Any insight would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
3 REPLIES
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: 2 drives failing out of a 3 disk RAID 5

What does ACU/ADU show for drives 1 and 2? The raid is block based so if there are disk errors the raid volumes will not rebuild. However you will be able to read the files (or most of them) so that you will recover your data. It looks like backup and rebuild is your only option.
crdavis
Occasional Visitor

Ya, I'm thinking the same thing. Thanks for comfirming!
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi Chris,

Make sure you're running the latest Firmware, Drivers and ACU versions to avoid rebuild failures.

You *might* get lucky (although unlikely) with an upgrade, backup and restore is probably your only option at this point.

Rgds,