New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2 x Pent. Pro 200 CPU's on my Proliant 2500

Kelcett
Occasional Advisor

2 x Pent. Pro 200 CPU's on my Proliant 2500

Bios is E24 12/01/99
Windows 2000 Professional SP3.

Hi once again, this is where I am at.
I changed the APIC MODE to 'full table' in the F10 partition at the Config HW.

I then went to Device manager and it told me 'standard PC'. Seems I am using 'hal.dll'.

I still do not seem to be running two CPU's. Thes cpus were installed original so I don't think a problem there and at start up they are both recognised.

what tools can I use to see how things are running?
What else do I need to do to get both cpus online.

Thanks Kevin
"If its broke" - I did it...
8 REPLIES 8
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Kevin:

Take a look at this article from MS:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;234558

If you still have troubles you can download the SSD from Compaq, click here:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/15715.html

Hope this helps.
-John
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Kelcett
Occasional Advisor

Thanks John,
I already had that installed, it was an older version so I put the newer one in. But how does this help me? I should tell you I am self taught in this so I may need it spelled out or pointed to the online manual as to how I get the two CPUs working. My computer still shows as 'standard PC' and using the 'hal.dll'and one cpu.

I used smartstart 5.3 when I set up server, had installed new bios etc also.... One question I have is after some reading of older posts is does the 2500 running w2k support 2 cpus? I am assuming it must run on something or they wouldn't have built it..... {{{do I need to look for a copy of win95? :) }}}

Thanks folks, Kevin
John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

Kevin, I just built a server using Red Hat Linux version 7.3 on a dual Pentium Pro Proliant 2500, 128MB RAM, Smart-2/P, TLAN Ethernet 10/100. I had built it originally with Red Hat Linux 8.0 but had to deal with too many changes between 7.3 and 8.0 so opted to go back to 7.3. The machine recognizes both processors. In the BIOS I set the system type to UNIX->Linux. If you're adventurous (and have a lot of time to do these installs) get your hands on Linux and try installing it to see if it recognizes both processors. One word of caution though, the 2500 and 5000 Proliants don't report their total RAM properly so a Linux build would require special parameters to get it going.
One question for you though, when you boot up does your machine report both CPUS during POST?
Kelcett
Occasional Advisor

Yes both cpus recognized and initialized.
I did try Linux 7.3 when I first looked at this but it seemed to complicated for me. I could not get past the install basically.
I guess I need to know if I can get both cpus running on W2K?
Thanks for your time so far and the Linux thing will be sitting out there if I keep having problems. Do you know who I should ask about the current situation?

Kevin
Kelcett
Occasional Advisor

Guys. I think I did it.
After reading many posts I decided to take the plunge and change some settings in the device manager.

I installed 'sisoftware sandra' and had a look round my computer. It indicated I only had one cpu. I looked at the details and it said under features that ACPI was not supported so decided not to go there. That left MPS with the only multiprocessor option so I thought I need to try MPS multiprocessor. I went to device manager and changed to that. I had read in Microsoft how to recover if I did it wrong so worth a crack! Well all has gone fine so far. Device manager now says says I have 'MPS multiprocessor PC' and 'sandra' now indicates 2 cpus.
Is this all working fine? Seems to be, I am not sure yet how to fully test it but site is still running..... Will kepp you posted.... any tips..

Kevin
Kelcett
Occasional Advisor

Ok one issue... Seems everything is working, ftp, server, mail.
Except.... when I open a drive or any folder the contents don't appear unless I right click in the pane or left or right click on the toolbar????
Files and programs within the folders open/work fine??? Any ideas?
Kevin
Kelcett
Occasional Advisor

Happy New Year,
I seem to have resolved above issue. I ran Repair in Windows 2000 and all is now working. Two CPU's recognized by 'sandra'. Windows screen shows two CPU's in 'Task manager''preformance window'etc.

Thanks Kevin
Vincent Chua_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Where you find this repair command? I'm having the same problem. Please help.