1747994 Members
4781 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 2000 and dual processors.

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

2000 and dual processors.

How can I get my ProLiant 800 (with Dual Pentium Pro 200mhz cpu's) to be recognized under Windows 2000? I think it is only running off one CPU.
11 REPLIES 11
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have the exact same problem. The "BIOS" sees both, but NT4 and 2000
do not install the multi-processor kernel. Compaq's "support" pages have been utterly useless in even identifying this issue.

Anyone have a solution?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Well, firstly, there's a setting in the BIOS, but I honestly forgot what it was... I'm sure it's on the Compaq site somewhere. Secondly, if you already have Windows 2000 installed, you need to run a repair installation from the CD. This will preserve your existing installation, but verify that all hardware drivers match the hardware installed on the system. It should detect the second processor, and install the SMP HAL.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have a proliant 3000 that installed as a multi processor kernel for both NT and 2k, but then after the install is done there are tons of even errors stating the OS is running 1 of 2 installed CPU's, to verify that my license is capable of supporting more than one CPU......
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Bring up the configuration utility. Select:
System cofiguration | Configure hardware |Review or modify hardware settings | View or edit details | Primary Operating System

Change it to the one you are trying to run. Reinstal. It should see both processors. The problem arrises because people are buying 2nd user Proliants, adding a 2nd processor and crucially changing the operating system. The install operating system part of the menu doesn't seem to update the field.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

This isn't a "second user" machine. It was orginally bought as a dual CPU machine and has always ran as a dual CPU machine. The server was running NT4 without any problems. Updated the BIOS to newest rev, updated partion utilities, went through Smart Start 4.9b to configure the system for Windows 2000, installed and everything was fine. The primary HDD that was used for booting died, and I replaced it with a larger drive, repeated above config steps re-installed and now it only shows 1 CPU is working due to a "license error" under Windows.

After following these instrcutions and re-installing yet again, the problem remains.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Go to the system administration MMC console. Inside of that you will want to go to device manager. Once there, you will then expand the `Computer' icon. Select one the options inside and then click on the drivers tab. Once you have done this, then click on update drivers. You may need to select all drivers, but then you will see the multiprocessor MPS driver(S) Simply update and reboot. If you are getting the management agent error messages, this is all you have to do. For other errors, you will want to make sure that the latest management agents have been installed and that you have updated your system configuration to show that both processors are installed.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Already gone thru that step, and the MPS kernel is installed as it was during the system load. This isn't the problem. I install Linux on this box and it shows 2 cpu's during the boot, but then during load it states only 1 cpu is "active" and in use. NT and 2k do the exact same thing.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

There is a problem with 2000 not detecting the second processor from the install. There is a reg hack you need to preform first in order for the second processor to be seen. Really has nothing to do with the hardware. I can't remember the reg entry off the top of my head. But there is a reg fix for that problem. I had to do it myself for a dual ppro system. It wasn't a compaq system.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Same Problem, but when i try to intstall the MPS HAL The system hangs on reboot.