108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 207-invalid memory configuration-Mismatched DIMMs within bank

Tobias Boehm
Occasional Contributor

207-invalid memory configuration-Mismatched DIMMs within bank

Hello,

I'm getting the error
"207-invalid memory configuration-Mismatched DIMMs within bank X" after I installed additional memory.

At the moment the only RAM in the machine (DL380 G5) are 2GB in 1A and 2GB in 2A. The modules are identical but NOT original HP. Can this be the reason?

Thanks,

Tobias
6 REPLIES 6
Alvaro Espinoza
Advisor

Hi Tobias!.

This is caused because you're using non HP memory. The HP memory has been optimized to work with your server.

How about if you remove it and check the results. Use HP Memory. You can check the options here:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12477_na/12477_na.html
Tobias Boehm
Occasional Contributor

Thanks,

before I bought the RAM I used the link you gave me as a reference. It says
"PC2-5300 Fully Buffered DIMMs (DDR2-667) with 4:1 and 2:1 interleaving available (interleaving requires identical DIMMs)". That's what the RAM is.

I saw that HP recommends using original HP RAM but I didn't find anything that I have to use HP RAM.

Anyway, is there a list of part numbers that I can use with my DL380 G5?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

There are many specifications beyond the top level ones advertised for memory. Beyond "fully buffered" and "DDR2" and "PC2-5300" are specifications such as RAS (row address select) and CAS (column address select) and refresh cycle. Many memory vendors will mix in memory under a top line spec that they meet with varied RAS, CAS and other specs. This can lead to instability and will cause the memory test to fail. Even if the etchings look identical on the memory parts themselves, unless they're "top bin" parts that meet the complete specification, you'll run into these problems. That's the reason you can find cheaper memory on the market--they've failed the rigorous requirements of someone like HP.
Tobias Boehm
Occasional Contributor

That means that on startup they check whether the modules actually meet these requirements or are they just not recognized because they don't have one of these part numbers?

Does that mean that with luck, the server can recognize non HP certified modules?

I also found the actual part numbers at the end of the document. Sorry for that.
Tobias Boehm
Occasional Contributor

A further question, can I mix normal modules with "Low Power" modules?

397413-B21 together with 466440-B21 in one machine?
bj beneby

the Memory has to be instaled in a certin order. here is a link with that info
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12477_na/12477_na.html#Memory

Hope this helps