1752780 Members
6875 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

2500 Raid Configuration

Jeff Menkes
Occasional Contributor

2500 Raid Configuration

I just purchased a 2500 server and I have 5 4.3GB drives installed. All 5 drives are being reconized, but I can't seem to be able to figure out how to configure a raid 5 setup. The drives are installed in the drive cage connected to the main board. Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: 2500 Raid Configuration

Did the server come with a "smartstart" cd? If so, you can boot to the cd and run the "array configuration utility".

If you don't have the CD... hmmmmm.. I don't think you can change it. Since we're a Compaq shop we have an abundance of smartstart CD's, so I have never run into this problem - maybe someone else would have an answer.
Jeff Menkes
Occasional Contributor

Whenever I use the smart start CD it looks for a smart array controller. I can't seem to get it to look at the main board..
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Do you even have a Smart Array controller in the system? During the POST of the server, does it say anything about a Smartarray controller?

Sounds like you don't since you have the drives plugged into the mainboard, so that sounds like you are just using the onboard SCSI. If that's the case, you might be using some software RAID, not hardware RAID which the Array Configuration utility looks for (only on Smart-Array Controllers).
Jeff Menkes
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Tom. I assumed that the 2500 had an intergreated smart controller, but you know what happens when you assume...I will check it out and get back.
WW553661

Hi I recently got an ole Compaq ProLiant 2500 in great condition and for a week now have played with it trying to do a hardware raid, the system unit came with 5/9.1 Gig scsi drives in the Array rack which are plugged into a board that the system board and expansion board plug into, on this board is the single scsi connect, 1 IDE and 1 floppy. Now when I first started the system unit I was getting a scsi bios not installed error in post tho I have figured that out, it was coming from a pci scsi controller that an ide tape drive was connected to with the help of a ide-scsi adapter and that was all that was on it and since I don't need the tape drive at the moment I eliminated it. Now is it my understanding that the ProLiant 2500 did not come with an integrated raid controller? and if not can I use a pci Adaptec Raid Controller and not use the integrated scsi controller? If not how do you create a raid with smartstart 5.50 which I optained from hp here because system unit didn't come with SS 5.0 or any software.
Thx in advance
Doug
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

Yes, you CAN use a third-party controller, if you find one that is ancient enough.
(a better option is to trawl eBay for an old Compaq RAId-controller, though)

But a third-party controlelr will NOT work with the SmartStart CD.

Also, why are you necrojacking an ancient thread to ask this question instead of starting a new one?
(You won't be able to assign points for helpful posts, so many won't bother responding. You won't automatically get emails when someone responds, either.)

Necrojacking:
A combination of:
Thread hijacking: 'taking over' someone else's question thread with an unrelated/only partially related question.
Necroposting: Posting in an ancient(years old) post without very good reason.

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Is it worth spending the money on a controller for 4.3GB drives that are probably slower than a SATA drive. I would consider getting a SAS/SATA RAID controller and newer drives for it.
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

The original poster had 4.3GB drives.

The Necromancer that reanimated this thread, though, has 9.1 GB disks.