1745877 Members
3951 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

3.5" HDD in ML370 G5 Server

IntelInc
Occasional Advisor

3.5" HDD in ML370 G5 Server

We are seeking a server to use for file storage. Maximum TB in a single box is essential.

The specs for the ML370 say it can support 16 HDD (with a second drive cage). But the specs only call for Small Form Factor (2.5") HDD's.

In other HP servers specs the drive cage supports SFF & LFF drives. (eg: 8
(SFF) OR 6 (LFF))

Question: Is is physically possible to mount LFF drives in an ML370 G5?
- I assume the ratio would be the same (4/3 SFF/LFF).
4 REPLIES 4
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: 3.5" HDD in ML370 G5 Server

Hello Tom,
I don't think this is possible. ML370 G5 went for a major MAKEOVER from the G4 model where only a MAX 6 HDD could be used. You could try the 3.5" drive cage & backplane used on ML350 server.. but im not sure if this would work. Not worth trying(I wouldn't), I will recommend u to go for a External Storage cabinet if "MAX Disk space" is what you seek, & if thats feasible.

;) Regards.
IntelInc
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply Happy Dude! I suspect you are correct. I hope to receive a response from someone who is using this server and can look at the drive cage to confirm or deny...
e4services
Honored Contributor

No. Only the new SFF drive trays can fit in the SFF drive cage. Physically limited by fit, form and mech. function.

If you only want storage, why not a Network Storage device? And if you have 3.5" drives, why not buy an older device that has 3.5 bays? Would be cheaper. Sure donlt need 3.2GHz CPUs to provide storage.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

I think that right now the server with more concentrated storage capacity is the DL320s. 10.5TB of storage (14x750GB) in 2 U. It uses 2.5" SATA drivers, though.
The ML370 G5 has a maximum of: 2.336 TB, 16 x 146GB with optional 2nd SAS drive cage, as explained above.