ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752815 Members
5872 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

3000r and non booting cdrom cont .... help !!

PJ_6

3000r and non booting cdrom cont .... help !!

Hi everyone.

Still unable to boot smartstart 5.5. from my ide cdrom in my e39 prolaint 3000r. Here are the details;

Compaq ide cdrom drive replaced with Compaq spare

Compaq ide cdrom drive set as master via jumper on unit. Placed on position 0 in ide cable.

Used system erase utility (as a result no system partition)

Updated system bios, hdd bios, and smart 2/p bios to latest versions

Booted with eisa config floppies ver 2.58a as smartstart 5.5 cd did not boot in ide cdrom drive (did spin up however)

Integrated Fixed Disk Controller. Standard Interface ??? enabled as second controller. Drive type ??? unit 1 cdrom.

Boot controller set to 2/p array

Set standard boot order to cd: a: c:

Server lcd display displays error code 55h 1785-drive array not configured.

Have provided the output of the system attached to this post as txt file.

Questions:

Floppies to configure the array (bootable) ??? I think this question has just been answered in the forums.

I have an older style remote insight board/pci in the unit. Is this considered an additional vga controller and therefore I must set the system board switch. Currently as per Compaq instructions the vga connector is connected to the output from this board not the integrated server vga output.

Why would the ide cdrom be seen by the system config. I can also boot with a win98 floppy with oak cdrom drivers and view the contents of the smartstart cd in the cdrom drive. Is this a case of a faulty ide controller.

If this is a case of a faulty ide controller does anyone know of a HP or other company utility, which can prove this. I need it for warranty purposes ??? third party warranty not hp/Compaq factory warranty as this was a purchased second hand unit.

I really need your help on this one guys ??? its sending me crazy trying to get it up and running.

Cheers

PJ

3 REPLIES 3
Frank Kaufman
Honored Contributor

Re: 3000r and non booting cdrom cont .... help !!

You have too many variables in the system.

Pull all cards (RIB, Array controller etc.) and pull all hard drives. Reduce it to a very basic system (as it comes from the factory, the only card in it should be a NIC in slot 7). Enable the on board video. Now do a sytem erase from a floppy containing the system erase utility and reboot by powering off and on. It should boot from the CD if there is no floppy disk in the floppy drive.

Let me know the results.
PJ_6

Thanks for the hint Frank,

have done as you suggested stripped down the system run erase utility etc. However the cdrom still refuses to boot smartstart. I just get dumped at f1 / f10 prompt.

any ideas ?

Cheers

PJ
PJ_6

I think i have it !

After i wiped the system for the sake of trial and error i attempted to boot of smartstart cd version 3.60 that had come with another system and it worked :)

I noticed all the 5.5 smartstart software kits I had ordered had all come from the same place - a chorus group software - i think I will be giving them a call and finding out why I was sent a batch of non booting 5.5 smartstart cds !.

anyone know what particular what files / file strucutre needs to be on a cd so that they boot

thanks

PJ