ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752806 Members
5728 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 380G2 - moving mirrored drives

Allen Black

380G2 - moving mirrored drives

I have a DL380 G2 server that has 6 drives (3 mirrored pairs) in the box, running on the internal 5i controller. If I took one set of drives (one from each mirror) and put them in another G2 (we've got a dozen or so), would the system boot?

Reason I ask is the system in question won't recognize a 5300 controller. We've had a couple of riser cage issues, and this might be part of it. We wanted to add an external array and a 5300, but it won't see the card. The card works in another G2. So I'm wondering if I take the internal drives for these two servers and swap them, will the servers boot up and run as before? Anyone tried this?
Thanks, Allen Black
3 REPLIES 3
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

It should work, but before you do anything, get a good backup!

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Jens Baumann_2
Frequent Advisor

It should work, but make sure you put the disks in exactly the same place in the other G2. Otherwise the controller will not recognize the arrays/logical drives.
Erick Wisler

Hi Allen,
I used the same trick on a ML370 G2 with one pair of 36.4 GB disks connected to a Smart 5i conroller. Everything is working fine. Having some troubles building up a solid Windows 2000 Server with Terminal Services enabled I used a step by step approach always saving a disk after each step and inserting another one so that I would be able to quickly get one step back in the process. Apart from the additional disk it is very efficient.