ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748285 Members
3831 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 380g4 change duplex to simplex

Tomasz_15

380g4 change duplex to simplex

Can i change duplex to simplex in dl380g4 , without lose array configuration? array made on 3 disk raid5.
6 REPLIES 6
Tomasz_15

i already know the answer-its possible and save.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

is RAID5 3 drives O/S drives ? or DATA
they was installed Bay 0,1,2 ?

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Usually yes, because as long as the Smart Array can find the 3 drives on the single Bus, it should automatially re-configure the array settings and write the new config to the drives. Or so I would think.

Stveen
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Tomasz_15

disks were instaled in bay 0,1,2 (only o/s nothing more), after change from duplex to simplex controler reconfigure array-disk were found at new location.. i didnt even need access orca.
Tomasz_15

Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Array Controller will see them and reconfigure, as Roaming supported, but what benefits you get from ID0, 1 on the channel A and ID2 on the channel B?
I would believe example of RAID 1,1+0 open more for discussion if used as 4 drives between two different channel, but RAID 5 between 2 channels (ID0, 1 +2) More chances for errors: on the Parity, Delay for spin time, Synchronization, Read Write losses, Controller should keep extra cache for second channel and switching function for RAID 5. It's not common configuration, higher % on the DATA loss or Corruption ├в in case if something goes wrong. Split for duplex and simplex commonly used with ID0, 1 for O/S Mirrored Drives and rest 4 for Data (or 3 DATA and Tape Drive).

What the main point was for you to split, add more drives to B channel? B channel will be shared for two Arrays, performance degradation or more hassle if you decide to add additional controller for duplexed part.