6049 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

3TB in ML110 G7

kavermeer
Occasional Advisor

3TB in ML110 G7

Hi,

I am wondering if 3TB SATA drives will work fine (i.e., show the full capacity) in an ML110 G7? I don't need any RAID, just access to the disks, as I plan to install FreeNAS on this.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02793565&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=&prodSeriesId=5075942&prodTypeId=15351 seems to imply that it can take 3TB drives:

Non-Hot Plug SATA 12.0TB (4 x 3TB) 3.5 inch SATA

Other sources, however, are not so clear on this.

Thanks for any help!

9 REPLIES 9
Ali
HPE Pro

Re: 3TB in ML110 G7

Hi,

As per ML110 G7 Quickspecs, following configuration is supported:

Maximum Internal Storage
One of the following depending on Model

Non-Hot Plug SAS LFF

8.0TB (4 x 2TB) 3.5" SAS

Non-Hot Plug SATA LFF

8.0TB (4 x 2TB) 3.5" SATA

Hot Plug SAS SFF

4.0TB (4x1TB) 2.5" SAS

8.0TB (8 x 1TB) 2.5" SAS

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14012_div/14012_div.HTML#Storage

As per quickspecs, maximum capacity that is tested on this server is 2.0TB and there isn't any part number available for 3.0TB HDD in this specs.

Hope this helps,

How to Say Thanks...Click on White Star Kudos

Cheers!

Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

kavermeer
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply. So it hasn't been tested. But is there any reason to assume it doesn't work? I mean, is there any limitation inherent to the SATA controller so that it cannot support disks larger than 2.2 TB? If not, I'll take my chances. Otherwise, I'll gave to get a discrete SATA controller that supports these drives.

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

That's Correct, there isn't any controller limitation for larger HDD. So, you may give it a try.

My further research revealed that there is a Hard Drive Part Number (628063-B21 ) available for 3.0TB NHP HDD

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=125&prodSeriesId=5075942&prodTypeId=15351&objectID=c02863180

So, Possiblly ML110 G7 quickspecs which we refer for supported options is not updated with the latest information.

Cheers!

Aftab

How to say thanks? Click on Kudos Star

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

thescyy
Occasional Advisor

No harm in trying, typically the limitations with drives larger than 2.2TB are OS related with how the disk is formatted. The typical issue in windows is the drive not being formatted as a gpt partition when initially initializing the drive in disk management.

kavermeer
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the help so far. I'll go ahead and order the system. I'll try to remember to post the results on this forum.

HarryBarrantes

Hello everybody, I bought an ML110 G7 server and havent found the way to build a mirror with 3TB drives. Controller reports 800MB drives.

Does anybody found a solution?

Thanks.

Harry

kavermeer
Occasional Advisor

So I forget to report back... But here I am again!

I didn't have any problems with our 3 TB drives. I don't use any of the RAID features of the controller, though. I'm using FreeNAS on this system.

spuddiver
Occasional Visitor

Hi all,

Sorry for hijaking this thread but I am having the same problem with ML110 G7 and getting 2 x 3TB drives been recognised.

I am getting Error code: 352 - "The physical drive......Bay3, is not supported for configuration by this version of controller firmware."

I've spokent o HP Tech support and they say because the server is out of warranty I can no longer download latets firmware?

How is this helpfull to anyone.

I now have 2 x 3tb drives I cat use :(

Anyone can offer advise?

Thanks

spuddiver
Occasional Visitor

Any help on this much appreciated.

I am getting on 'Array Configuration Utility' the following:

352 The physical drive, 0 MB SATA Drive at Port 3I : Box 1 : Bay 3, is not supported for configuration by this version of controller firmware.

352 The physical drive, 0 MB SATA Drive at Port 4I : Box 1 : Bay 4, is not supported for configuration by this version of controller firmware.

Both slots have a 3TB Seagate ATA ST33000650NS