ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753954 Members
7420 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3rd Party SCSI hosts and MSA500

3rd Party SCSI hosts and MSA500

I'm currently attempting to extend our MSA500 via iSCSI, but haven't had any luck thus far. The MSA500 controller doesn't seem to be presenting the drives to the iSCSI bridge. I can hook up an MSA30 shelf to the iSCSI bridge and it sees that just fine. Would anyone happen to know if there's a trick to getting the MSA500 to present its disk(s) to a 3rd party SCSI device like an iSCSI bridge? The MSA500 in this case is a G1. The iSCSI bridge is an ATTO Technology IPBridge 2600 R/D. Thanks,
2 REPLIES 2
Oleg Mochkin
Trusted Contributor

Unfortunately MSA500 is compatible with SmartArray 532 or 5i RAID-controller as host controller only. MSA30 is a JBOD. MSA500 have its own intelligence and more complex. You can use MSA500 + Proliant server as iSCSI storage.
BR, Oleg.

I know that the 532 and 5i are the only officially supported adapters for the G1. I was hoping that enabling SSP would allow the MSA500 to talk to the 3rd party product, but it seems that's not the case. So basically my only option would be to upgrade the 500 to a 1000 and connect via fiber, install iSCSI target software on the host server, or upgrade to an 1510i? The 1510i is an unworkable solution because it's hobbled by it's 1Gb connection and only supports Windows. FC is better, but it's expensive and there's still a question of compatibility with non-HP gear.