108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3rd Party eSATA Controller Card Not Recognized

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jon_AK
Occasional Contributor

3rd Party eSATA Controller Card Not Recognized

New ML350 G9 E5-2620V4 Xeon CPU,  Windows Server 2016 Standard installed.  Hot plug drives include (2) SAS Raid 1 drives for OS and (4) SAS Raid 10 drives for data.  This machine has replaced our aging 2008R2 server and all has been good with the exception of not being able to utilize our existing 5 drive external SATA drive tower.  I purchased a Addonics AD4ES6GPX4 PCI card which according to the mfg, will work in x4, x8 or x16 PCI slots.  After the successful installation of the OS, the device is not listed in the Windows device manager nor are the 5 data drives displayed in the hard drive resources.  These are configured simply as JBOD drives and used to store client backup files.  I do not know if this is an issue with Windows Server 2016 or if it is an issue with the system board not supporting the card.  Mfg states that it should work but may have to wait until Microsoft releases additional updates for drivers.  Apparently, according to Addonics, the controller card utilizes the built-in Windows AHCI driver but I simply cannot get it to be recognized.  Any ideas?  HP support will not address this due to it being a 3rd party controller.

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

The card may not be recognised unless the server is changed from UEFI to Legacy BIOS Boot emulation.  If the card doesn't have UEFI firmware, it is a good bet the system will not recognize the card.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Jon_AK
Occasional Contributor

I had not thought of that,. and you do bring up a good point.  I just submitted this information to Addonics for an answer.  With this particular card being one of their newest releases (according to the website), you would think it would have those things built into it.  As for changing from the current UEFI mode to Leagacy, that would blow up all of the work I put into this and make me start all over :(  The server is a production server now and that idea is far from becoming a reality in my lifetime.....

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

if you have single cpu, make sure to use an active slot.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jon_AK
Occasional Contributor

System board has 1 out of the 2 sockets installed and I made certain I had the card plugged into a PCIe slot that was assigned to the CPU.  Is there a way to verify the system board recognizes the card?  Maybe like during boot, pressing the F10 key or whatever key is required to enter the BIOS setup?