1753366 Members
5896 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 4 x HP Proliant DL360 GR and 2 HP 5500 XR UPS

LFMDAP

4 x HP Proliant DL360 GR and 2 HP 5500 XR UPS

Hi
I Have 4 x HP Proliant DL360 G5 servers with 2 HP 5500 XR UPS, I need to connect 2 servers to UPS1 and 2 servers to UPS2. Using the HP Power management SW, do I need install the HP SW on each server and connect each server into the UPS with CAT5 into the UPS mangement module NIC for gracefull shut down? I would appreciate any advise, many thanks.

Dave
3 REPLIES 3
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

i always connect one server vith the serial cable to the UPS, and install the powermanagement server on it, another servesr connecting to the Power Management serves only as a clients.

don't forget disabling Serial port in ILO if you like communnicate the Managemnet server and UPS with Serial interface.

mikap
Brian Vo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
I think you are mixed up between 2 power management products:
-HP Power Manager (HPPM)v4.3.2 + Remote Agents (RA) v4.0
-HP Management Module (HPMM) + Power Protection Agents (PPA) v5.

Since 2 UPS came with HPMM already, you should install PPA on each server and choose to have serial or network or mixed connections between your HPMM and PPA servers.

Browse into the HPMM and use Attached Device Page to add these PPA server to the HPMM. Go here to look for PPA and User Guide: http://www.hp.com/go/rackandpower

Brian
Peter Jam
Frequent Advisor

Michael,

I just posted as i have an issue with my R 5500 XR UPS connecting.  I saw this reply by you:

"don't forget disabling Serial port in ILO if you like communnicate the Managemnet server and UPS with Serial interface."

Could that be my problem?  How do i disable serial port in iLO.  all i see is "Raw Serial Data Port 3002".

Did some more looking around, Is it in Access Options? Is it "Serial Command Line Interface Status" where I can disable?