ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753797 Members
7323 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 5000 R Server gives 4 beeps and turns off!

SOLVED
Go to solution
William_119
Occasional Advisor

5000 R Server gives 4 beeps and turns off!

Just as the subject says.
I turn it on and it beeps 3 or 4 times and shuts off. This is a Quad 200Mhz. Please Help!
9 REPLIES 9
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello William,
If this server was working fine before could you tell me as to what changed/installed which caused the server to behave like this. You may need to bring the server to the minimum configuration and try to eliminate the obvious.

Regards,
William_119
Occasional Advisor

It had a 1 Dual Cpu Card and 1 "terminator" card(card with out the cpu's).
I took out the terminator card and installed 2 more CPUs making it a Quad and not a Dual.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello William,
Now if you take out the add on card and go back to your original configuration, does your server become stable?? One more question, did you update the system bios?? Please also let me know your contact information by emailing me at sunil.jerath@hp.com and if you are upto it I shall contact you.

Regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello William,
Here is the link to download the software pertaining to your server just in case you need it:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1109.html

Regards,
e4services
Honored Contributor

William,

Causes of such a behavior are, bad or mis-seated memory and CPU's. I would remove all but a single CPU and a single memory bank and see first. then switch things around to find what is the problem. And as suggested before, remove any added cards
Hot Swap Hard Drives
William_119
Occasional Advisor

I have returned it to the ooriginal state. But I have the same problems. The guy I bought it from said it worked fine. He turned it off and put it in a box and shipped it to me. Packaging was perfect. I am emailing sunil.jerath@hp.com

Thank You All For The Help!
William_119
Occasional Advisor

Down to 1 CPU and 1 Card of Ram.
I got a flash at the green light for the "on" buttond and that's it.
William_119
Occasional Advisor

I put back everything back in.
Now I get the 4 beeps again and it shuts off. 30 to 60 Seconds later, it trys to boot again. No lights on the HDDs show up.

I am going to try to install 2 new CPUs.
William_119
Occasional Advisor

What does it mean to reset the power supply?
I have two Quad 200Mhz Compaq Pro 5000R Servers. The first one is descriped above. The second, all it did was boot the HDDs and say To remove the disk and try again (the error you get when you leave a 3.5 diskette in). I checked, but there was no diskette in the drive. I removed the drive and it gave the same error, except it also said no 3.5" diskette found. I put in a NEW 3.5 Floppy Drive and got the "remove diskette" error again. I restarted and ran the system tests. It said everything was fine. To exit it said I has to "restart the power supply". I clicked that button, and now the the server just flashes lights on the HDDs and turns off.
If this was a bad PS then it wouldn't flash lights, right?