ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5000R with Smart Array 4200: Yay or Nay?

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

5000R with Smart Array 4200: Yay or Nay?

Trying to configure a Smart Array 4200 on a 5000R (E16) with little success. The server has the latest ROM Boos (4/30/99). I am using Smart Start DC Release 4.80. The server/Smart Start DC won't recognize the board in any of the PIC slots after running the system configuration. I determined this by viewing/editing settings before saving. The firm ware on the controller is version 1.30 from Options ROMPaq 2.59.03.

I am finding conflicting information from Compaq. The Smart Array 4200 Array Controller Quick Hardware Installation Guide states the 4200 can be installed on a 5000R. The Smart Array 4200 Controller User Guide does not list the 5000R as a supported server.

Is a Smart Array 4200/Proliant 5000R configuration supported, not supported, or does it not work? If it is supported or not supported(but still works) any ideas how to get the server to recognize the controller. If it just plain doesn't work, what is the best RAID controller I could utilize in the Proliant 5000R Pentium Pro 166/200?
1 REPLY
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Re: 5000R with Smart Array 4200: Yay or Nay?

This controller should work just fine in this system however the options rompaq you mention for the controller is very old..it might be what the issue is..you can get the latest here..
http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/10947.html
if the flash takes a long time or doesnt work then the problem is that the controller itself is bad
We are here for a good time, not a long time!